cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Formula custom loop - direction of flow advice plz

877cms
Level 7
So I am rebuilding my custom loop with new Maximus X Formula board. A bit unsure of how best to keep tubing nice and neat around the VRM area (flexible EK clear 13/10). Was wondering if I need 45' fittings around the VRM?

My parts are (in order of correct flow i think):

• XSPC 5 1/4 bay reservoir
  • Laing 18W pump with clear top
  • XSPC triple radiator
  • Maximus X Formula VRM block (in top right - out bottom left)
  • EKWB Supreme EVO RGB cpu waterblock (in top - out bottom)
  • EKWB GTX 1080 RGB gpu waterblock (in left - out right)
  • then back to resevoir (first item above).

These are two photos of my old setup, it will basically be the same but including the new motherboard VRM waterblock:
https://imgur.com/HG9xbUs
https://imgur.com/m4acGil

Any advice/photos of your builds please share 🙂
Maximus X Formula | 8700K | 16GB Corsair Vengance 3600 | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Watercooled CPU & GPU
4 REPLIES 4

av3nger
Level 7
Hello 877cms,

So i have the same board as you and what eventually happened is that I went with hard tubing, i tried flex tubing first and it just would not play nice. At least as far as neatness was concerned. The specific reason that i really couldn't use soft tube was that the way i had to route it was so close to a fan i was super uncomfortable. I haven't swapped over my AIO cooler into the custome loop yet. But due to the really short distance from VRM to CPU, I was concerned that flex tubing would just cause issues and be bulky. What i ended up doing is just watching a bunch of Jayztwocents videos on youtube to get a feel for hard tubing and as it was my first attempt i feel like i did pretty good, and i just went directly into the VRM. however now that I have done that i wish i would have gotten some curved EKWB 45* fittings.... One thing ive been thinking about from other peoples builds is what they have done is just used fittings to go from outlet of VRM to inlet of CPU.

But at the end of the day, Im very glad I went to hard tubing. The only bad part was my start up costs were high, needing a heat gun and all that stuff that goes with it. But now i have it and i can continue to tinker.
i5 7600k 5.0Ghz--3200Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 16 GB-- Asus Maximus IX Formula--
Asus GTX 1080 TI ROG--Samsung 840 pro Boot-- Samsung 840 pro game-- Seagate 2TB--
Phantom 820 case-- Kraken x62 CPU cooler-- EKWB Res/pump/rad for Formula VRM cooler.

877cms
Level 7
Hi av3nger,

Thanks for the reply, I didn’t see it at first as my pc is out of action, and this forum does not show up well on my phone *😀. *Yours is looking good so far, I would definitely give the hard tubing a go in the future. I think vrm >cpu is perhaps the way to go. I also use spiral wrap on the tubing which helps stop it kinking. Let me know how it goes with adding your cpu into the loop 👍🏻
Maximus X Formula | 8700K | 16GB Corsair Vengance 3600 | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Watercooled CPU & GPU

877cms
Level 7
Work in progress, photos attached....
GPU backplate to fit (coming tomorrow) and tidy up, then start wiring!*

877cms
Level 7
Updated photos if anyone cares 🙂
Temps are 25-30'C idle and 50-55'C under prime95.