Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running dual monitors with onboard graphics - Z370-G wifi

SJKebab
Level 7
Hi Everyone,
My first post here. Be gentle...

I just purchased a new system - first one in about 8 years - i7 8700k with a Z370-G wifi mobo. As gpu prices are utterly insane at the moment, I figured that I'd live with onboard graphics for a while, until I can justify a purchase. The mobo has a HDMI output and a displayport output. I'd like to be able to use both simultaneously to run 2x monitors, but I can't for the life of me get the displayport to detect the monitor plugged into it.

Both monitors are old things, with a max pixel count of 1650x1050 and are DVI native. So I have one cable which is passive DVI-HDMI converter, which works fine. I have tried passive and active converters for the displayport side, neither of which has worked. I've discovered the graphics configuration page on the bios, and set primary display to intel, and igpu multi-monitor support to enabled, with no luck.

Could anyone give me a tip as to where to go from here? I'm getting annoyed with this one and have tried everything that I can think of for the time being, however I've been out of the game for a long time now so there may be some obvious tricks that I'm unaware of.

Much appreciated,
Kevin
3 REPLIES 3

stewart_1
Level 8
For the DisplayPort, are you using an active adapter that includes addition power via USB? Some adapters on the market are actually “passively powered” active adapters. Your usage scenario will most likely require a more expensive adapter that takes extra power via a USB port. Hope this helps...

stewart@asus wrote:
For the DisplayPort, are you using an active adapter that includes addition power via USB? Some adapters on the market are actually “passively powered” active adapters. Your usage scenario will most likely require a more expensive adapter that takes extra power via a USB port. Hope this helps...

Another trip to the shops it is. Thanks for the tip. Mine isn't USB powered, so it's worth a go. Any other tips will be greatly appreciated however, as I doubt I'll be able to buy anything for a few days, with Easter now upon us.
Cheers

HI All,
A quick update, as this one surprised me and saved me a trip to the shops. The answer was...

*drumrolls*

Turning everything off and on again. At the wall. Seriously.

I didn't really want to go to the shops to fix this one, it didn't sit right with me. I found this video, and thought why not? What's the worst that could happen?

Unbelievable...