cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY Unable to accept Windows Updates including Fall creator's update

Swampthing
Level 8
Been having this problem for several months now where most of my Windows Updates "failed to update." I've tried all the various tricks on the internet including resetting permissions with subinacl. Nothing seems to work. Also noticed that I cannot access programs like ASUS LIVE Update program anymore. When I click on the program, it says I don't have the necessary permissions. Everything had been running fine for YEARS. Then suddenly this problem started and just keeps getting worse. Not a virus issue either. Malware Bytes installed and run scans regularly.
Asus Strix G733QSA-XS99-17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop
GeForce RTX 3080, AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
360Hz 3ms 17.3” Full HD 1920x1080 IPS-Type Display
Razer Deathadder v2 Mouse
Verizon FiOS: Gigabit connection
7 REPLIES 7

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well, Malwarebytes is for malware, not viruses so you need protection for both.
of course, the easiest solution would be to restore a disk/SSD image you created before the problems started

So your first step would be to do an in-place upgrade. Download and create a USB Install media from MCT
Make a back up of your eSupport folder you'll find it on the root of your C:\ drive/ SSD, You'll need this for some Propriority software that you can't download and all your Original hardware drivers are stored there.

From within windows right click the Install.exe run as administrator is available on the USB install media you created with the MCT. mark install and save files. This will save most of your programs and all of your data let the install run to completion.

After the install is complete you will have to install the ATK package from your eSupport folder that you saved? Touchpad software and look in device manager to see what other hardware drivers you'll need to install. Windows will install Native drivers so as you see issues come up just install the Asus drivers to solve those issues.

This is how we do a repair install nowadays with windows 10.

This should get you going.

In the future Macrium Reflect Free will make drive images that will rescue you in under 20 minutes and its free

I personally pay for Norton and Malwarebytes pro. I never worry about malware or virus I also don't click on unknown links or do other stupid stuff to get myself infected.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Swampthing
Level 8
Yes, I am aware of what I need for viruses. *Been using computers since the 70s... *lol. *As mentioned in an earlier past, there is no touchpad software. *I'll give this is a hot via USB, but not too optimistic. *There is a permissions issue which lingers, and even the Windows standalone updater can't get by it.

Swampthing wrote:
Yes, I am aware of what I need for viruses. *Been using computers since the 70s... *lol. *As mentioned in an earlier past, there is no touchpad software. *I'll give this is a hot via USB, but not too optimistic. *There is a permissions issue which lingers, and even the Windows standalone updater can't get by it.

Well if your OS is so screwed up that you can't do an in-place upgrade. That would leave you with doing a clean install The same USB that you created using the MCT will work, you just have to boot it up UEFI, you'll do this by spamming the Esc key after pressing the on button then select UEFI USB to boot from. If it asks for a product key just continue on it will activate automatically after the install the MS Activation Servers will recognize your hardware.

You will find the touchpad software on the Asus support sight. I believe i linked for you.

https://www.asus.com/search/results.aspx?SearchKey=G751jy&SearchType=FAQ&IsSupport=True&TopicFilter=...
https://www.asus.com/support/Download-Center/
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/114908

The drivers are available you'll have to register your notebook to access them.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

well I guess the only way to solve this completely would be to reformat my C drive and reinstall Windows. *That seems a bit extreme, but the USB option just errors out with the "Modern installation problem."

Swampthing wrote:
well I guess the only way to solve this completely would be to reformat my C drive and reinstall Windows. *That seems a bit extreme, but the USB option just errors out with the "Modern installation problem."

I have never heard of the Modern installation problem? in relation to Windows 10 installation? here is a Windows 10 link the only one I can find anywhere
Are you booting the USB in UEFI mode? https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way...

Here is another link on the subject
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Swampthing
Level 8
"Modern setup host has stopped working. Windows will close the program and look for a solution." Just as I thought. As I said, this isn't a simple easy problem to fix. I might end up having to do a complete clean installation of WIndows and simply deal with it.

Swampthing
Level 8
Yes, it would always stop around 23%. *I ended up doing a complete wipe after all. *Yes, it sets me back, but not too far. *All of my Steam and Blizzard games are on other hard drives, so it's just a matter of relinking them. *Thanks for your help though.