cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got My G74SX this past monday....

rozwell911
Level 7
...And i am extreamly happy with the computer 🙂

I did a lot of research on HP, Toshiba and ASUS PC's and i feel, even with its flaws i made the right choice.

This Forum has been instrumental in getting my PC set up the way i want it. I found the The Throttle Stop fix, the 3D button fix and a list of driver removal software that works wonderfully.

I am considering Moding my BIOS with the permanet throttle fix, but i think i may wait till the warranty period ends..also, even though its fairly simple MOD to do, im not 100% comfortable doing MODS like this...atleast not yet.

It took me 3 days to get everything right on the PC...removing bloatware, updating drivers, installing software i use and other mic.... Part of the other problem is that i work full time...so only had a few hours a night to work on it.

I finially used it late last night playing BF3, and i have to say that it runs it very smooth in all the HIGH (Textures in Ultra)settings. The 3d is nice for movies, but games i am not sold on it yet....part of the problem is that 3d sometimes gives me a headache with long term use (over 2 hours)...not fun for me.

The exact model i have is the G74SX-DH73-3D....i had it special ordered from Best Buy....I was pleasently surprised when it showed up with the ROG Back Pack and mouse....it was my understadning Best Buy could not get these.

Overall, i am thankful for all the help and information here, and i could not be happier. I look forward to interacting with everyone here.
Rozwel911

G74SX-DH73-3D
8 REPLIES 8

380mcn
Level 9
glad to read! 🙂

fostert
Level 12
You are most welcome here Rozwell911! Your experience at taking a raw G74, tearing 'er down and rebuilding it up the way you want is invaluable here, as it is the kind of experience new forum users seek. Congrats on the new "custom" G74!
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Congratulations for your new G74!!

I got mine the last week, I played Bf3 in ultra (campaing) without problems. When I was looking for references to buy my pc I was in the same situation, Asus, Toshiba, MSI..., but something that I liked to much besides the desing of the case and the hardware, was this forum. I din't find a comunity like Rog, maybe Asus customer suport sucks (up today I haven't used it, and I hope never have to:D) the questions I've had have been solved here by people that do know a lot about their asus G series.

My Asus came with the same touchpad issue, honestly I didn't pay to much attention to it because I use an external mouse.

Today I did a clean installation of w7-32 bit because of my work, and everything is working pretty well now, the thouch pad issue has gone.

About the bios upgrade, I have the v.201, and I felt tempted to install 203, but "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" so I left bios alone

I'm quite happy with my Asus, and if anybody is thinking about buying any G74, don't doubt it, this thing "Rogs"

ColonelS
Level 9
Glad that you enjoy the purchase!

Im facing quite a number of backlash regarding cpu throttling.. 😞

Will give you guys a very satisfactory reply asap when the higher authority revert back to me

In the meanwhile ENJOY GAMING! 🙂
Click ->Republic of Gamers<- official Facebook page

Congrats on your new ROG! I think you'll find this forum as helpful as I have. 'ROG' on my friend 😄

rozwell911
Level 7
Thank you all for the welcome! I must be honest, this is the very first online community that i have seen welcome newbies with open arms. Its very pleasant and welcome surprise.
Rozwel911

G74SX-DH73-3D

PILGRIM
Level 11
@Roswel911: I had the same feeling and experience the first time
I posted here. One thing I saw that's prevalent in the Forum is the
use of the principle of give and take. People who were initially helped
with their computer issues, stay to help new owners. And the cycle
goes on..

About the 3D usage, I'm not sure if your eyes have sensitivities to it.
But when you're on 3D, try adjusting brightness/dimness with fn hot keys.
It might be that you're having headaches because it's too dim/bright.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

I concur, the community here is great. Not only do I love my G74sx, but I've found an valuable resource which will probably lead me to further Asus ROG purchases. No wonder they hired Chastity (which is what I pieced together from lurking for a month...).