cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot install software for Xonar U7 MK II [Resolved]

RHorv
Level 7
Hi,

I have recently purchased an asus xonar u7 mk2 external sound card, but what ever I do I cannot get the drivers downloaded from the asus site to install. Windows 10 (pro) actually detects the card I can see it in device manager, it even has sound, but when I try to install the software package I launch the installer and I get a "your device cannot be detected, installation will not continue" message. It is quite annoying because without that it is hard to configure anything other than like volume obviously...
I did some googling and lots of people seem to have problems since the creator update a while back, but those seemed to be resolved. I have tried this on 2 computers as well and neither of them managed to install the drivers. The other one was my laptop running windows 10 home, and this desktop pc running windows 10 pro. Same error message for both.

Any ideas?

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
On the bottom of the U7 MK II, there is a small switch for USB mode. It is switched to USB 1.0 by default for plug & play, if you change it to USB 2.0 the driver will install properly.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
On the bottom of the U7 MK II, there is a small switch for USB mode. It is switched to USB 1.0 by default for plug & play, if you change it to USB 2.0 the driver will install properly.

I have tried it with both settings, neither will make the driver install, same error message.
Only difference is that if I have it on usb1, it gets recognized automatically as simply "usb audio device", and if I have it on usb2, windows 10 recognizes it as "Xonar U7" automatically.
Still won't let me install the drivers either way 😞

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
RHorv wrote:
I have tried it with both settings, neither will make the driver install, same error message.
Only difference is that if I have it on usb1, it gets recognized automatically as simply "usb audio device", and if I have it on usb2, windows 10 recognizes it as "Xonar U7" automatically.
Still won't let me install the drivers either way 😞

Please make sure the correct installation files have been downloaded properly, and test on another PC if possible.

Hi,

Like I said in my original comment, I have tested it on 2 PCs with the same result, and I have downloaded and redownloaded the file many times from the asus website, I have even tried downloading the driver for windows 8 and 7 and installing it in compatibility mode (after trying repeatedly with the win10 drivers of course), none actually worked.
Is there a device ID somewhere on the unit I can paste here for you to check or something?

Thanks

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
RHorv wrote:
Hi,

Like I said in my original comment, I have tested it on 2 PCs with the same result, and I have downloaded and redownloaded the file many times from the asus website, I have even tried downloading the driver for windows 8 and 7 and installing it in compatibility mode (after trying repeatedly with the win10 drivers of course), none actually worked.
Is there a device ID somewhere on the unit I can paste here for you to check or something?

Thanks

I see what the problem is, you do not have a Xonar U7 MK II. It would be indicated as such under device manager.

Even though it's hard to tell them apart, you have a Xonar U7 and it's necessary to download the correct driver here:
https://www.asus.com/Sound-Cards/Xonar_U7/HelpDesk_Download/

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
I see what the problem is, you do not have a Xonar U7 MK II. It would be indicated as such under device manager.

Even though it's hard to tell them apart, you have a Xonar U7 and it's necessary to download the correct driver here:
https://www.asus.com/Sound-Cards/Xonar_U7/HelpDesk_Download/

The box says U7 MK2, and it was a sealed box from amazon, unless you are selling U7-s from the factory as mk2-s I can't see how that can happen, but that's why asked where I can find some sort of device ID on it so you can check

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
RHorv wrote:
The box says U7 MK2, and it was a sealed box from amazon, unless you are selling U7-s from the factory as mk2-s I can't see how that can happen, but that's why asked where I can find some sort of device ID on it so you can check

That does sound bizarre, please private message me your serial number and a copy of the invoice. Thanks.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
That does sound bizarre, please private message me your serial number and a copy of the invoice. Thanks.

Hi,

So I returned the unit to amazon, since despite me buying an mk2, and the box having mk2 on it, plus all the paperwork being about mk2 in it, when I turned the unit itself around the sticker on it said just u7, no mk2, I suspect somebody bought this before me, swapped with his own u7 for a "free" upgrade and returned it for a refund to amazon who then resealed it and resold it because they didnt notice the switch due to the unit itself is virtually identical from the outside...

Thanks for the assistance, I now got a replacement that actually is an mk2, and it is working with the drivers.

Regards

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
That's very cheeky, glad it worked out for you in the end. Enjoy!