cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20CB SSD Questions!

rubyjayby
Level 7
Hello!

So I just recently purchased an Asus G20CB as my first PC, we got it for a pretty good deal. I would like to replace the HDD with an SSD. Now I've read several forums/posts about
how to go about this, but I'm not 100% sure of what to do so I wanted to make a post myself. I would rather not install an M2 because the idea of taking apart the entire thing and having to use thermal paste scares me! So I'm wondering if it's possible to just use a regular Samsung 850 EVO.

I had also been reading that perhaps the model of Asus that I've purchased can't handle anything larger than a 250GB SSD? I'm not sure if this is true or if it pertains to something else but I wanted to include that because if possible I would like to have 500GB or 1TB.

So I guess my main questions are:
- Can I replace the HDD with a regular SSD/not M2?
- If so - can I use any size of SSD or do I need to stay at 250GB?

Thank you so much for reading!! I can provide any other info needed as well!
1 REPLY 1

six4bravo
Level 10
In my spare rig, g20cb, I have the stock 2tb HDD along with an 850 evo 1TB SSD in the spot where it would be factory. You’ll need the 90 degree sata cable that came with the pc and connect that and a power cable in there and setup the ssd in the bios. If wanting to run it as a boot drive, the Samsung magician software can copy everything over to the SSD no problem you can look up how to install an SSD in a g series pc on YouTube. One of the members in here has a few videos of it. It’s the welshwhoopie guy.

But in short, yes an 850 evo 1TB SSD, 2.5” version, not the M.2, will work in the g20cb. And it makes a big difference.*