cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should my Strix 1080 AG get this HOT

Road_Rage_Snipe
Level 7
So I notice my cards seems to be too hot in stock setting. In Gaming mode @ 1080p in my NZXT Elite 340 case with ambient temps at 70F, my card reads a temp of 75-77C. In OC mode it goes from 75-80C wit the fan running at 60-65% I used Asus benchmark and in less than 10min it seems only to get hotter and hotter. I see other have the same issue with this card. Its not even a year old but Im scared its going to stop working if I game more than a hour.
18 REPLIES 18

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
83 is the default throttle point, however, difficult to say as to what the airflow is like within the case. Have you checked the cooler hasn't become clogged with dust?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Yes, I clean everything regularly but noticed that Im getting temps in the low 80s at 1440 and 4K resolutions. My fan is currently a 65%. today I hit 82 after 10mins of play time. This cant be good.

Road_Rage_Sniper wrote:
Yes, I clean everything regularly but noticed that Im getting temps in the low 80s at 1440 and 4K resolutions. My fan is currently a 65%. today I hit 82 after 10mins of play time. This cant be good.

82c is fine, as above. Just for clarification is this the GTX or the Ti? The two cards are by no means the same.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

stewart_1
Level 8
Hi... I think generally speaking temps of 80+C are regarded as acceptable under load, i.e. when gaming on a top tier GPU. Of course key factors to keep temps as low as possible include air flow within the case (adding more system fans can help) and keeping dust build up to minimum. Regarding the health of the GPU and the other components, excessive temps will inevitably mean that the GPU will throttle down to prevent damaging the card.

Some reference material for you.

Nvidia blog about GPU temps (it's from 2009, but still relevant today):
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2343/

Also, the issue of temps was covered in this GTX 1080 Ti review from Anandtech (noted temps of 80+ when playing Crysis 3):
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/16

I hope this puts your mind at ease...

cljustin
Level 8
Those temperatures are fine and safe. You can try setting your fan speed to 75-85% it should drop it by a lot (If you can live with the noise).

etorphine
Level 7
Road_Rage_Sniper wrote:
So I notice my cards seems to be too hot in stock setting. In Gaming mode @ 1080p in my NZXT Elite 340 case with ambient temps at 70F, my card reads a temp of 75-77C. In OC mode it goes from 75-80C wit the fan running at 60-65% I used Asus benchmark and in less than 10min it seems only to get hotter and hotter. I see other have the same issue with this card. Its not even a year old but Im scared its going to stop working if I game more than a hour.

remove 391,35 driver. it causing high temps.

I run the same card. While gaming I see max temps at 68'C and it idles around 30'C.

80 seems high...

Velcade wrote:
I run the same card. While gaming I see max temps at 68'C and it idles around 30'C.

80 seems high...

It only gets that high on games like Tom Clancy Wildlands and The Division.

Velcade wrote:

80 seems high...

What is your Temps during 20 minutes of heaven benchmark then?