cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix RX 480 O8 Fan Issue

rare707
Level 7
So I've been dealing with this problem for a couple of weeks now, bought a new power supply because my old one was about a decade old (I know, I know..), I thought it fixed the problem, but here I am asking for advice before RMA.

My RX 480 has recently been having fan issues. All 3 fans seem to only spin when they feel like it. Sometimes, my fans will work normally (the minority of the time), but most of the time they just aren't spinning no matter how hot or how cold the GPU is, manual control or otherwise. I have a Gigabyte Z270N-Gaming 5 Motherboard. All 8 pins to the graphics card are secure, the fan wiring on the card itself is also secure. I have reinstalled drivers with DDU, tried uninstalling GPU Tweak, etc. I am getting frustrated with it because it'll work fine for a few hours then just stop working or only work once in a while. At the time of posting, GPU Tweak reads 55*C, GPU Fan Speed 34%, GPU Fan Speed RPM 0. Sometimes the fan speed % goes to 0 even if the GPU is 80*C. I am at a loss.

Important note: I switched from my RX 480 back to my old R7 260X and the fans on that work flawlessly at all times in the same computer that my RX 480's fans do not. Please help 😕

Here's a visual representation of what I'm saying.

15 mins later:

2 mins later:
1 REPLY 1

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Can you try to revert all settings to defaults in GPU Tweak II and turn 0dB Fan function off? The fans should then operate at variable speeds instead. There is no need for concern about the temps shown above.

From the graphs above, the fans appear to be spinning whenever the temps are at their peak. When the temps are in the range of 55-65, the fans will only spin whenever necessary when in 0dB mode to maintain silent operation as much as possible. The fans may not spin all at the same time in this range, but they all should when GPU temp is over 65 degrees.

If you find that the fans stay off when GPU temp is at 80 degrees, please take a screenshot of that.