ROG Enthusiast Array

BIOS Update for eDrive support (Samsung 960)

Hello,

I'd like to know if Asus plans to udpate X99 BIOSes providing full support of Microsoft eDrive technology. This to allow enabling BitLocker on a Samsung 960 EVO/PRO set as boot drive.

Apparently Samsung support says motherboards need a BIOS update to support eDrive (see: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...id/188/page/10)

"After investigating the HW encryption problems from a compatibility point of view, we found this issue can be only be fixed with a BIOS update by the motherboard manufacturers.
    Through technical collaboration with one of the major BIOS chipset companies, we have verified that a new BIOS update of the motherboard BIOS works well with the H/W encryption function in our SSD drives. We will continue to verify the solution with the other BIOS chipset companies.
    We expect that the motherboard manufacturers will publicize the information of their BIOS updates for a solution."

Thanks.

ROG Member Array dk2463 PC Specs
    dk2463 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Code IX
    Processori7700k
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
    Graphics Card #1onboard 630
    MonitorAcer XR382CQK 37.5" UltraWide QHD
    Storage #1Samsung 960EVO 256GB
    CPU CoolerDEEPCOOL CAPTAIN 240EX RGB WHITE Water Cooling System
    CaseINWIN 303C
    Keyboard Microsoft Surface Keyboard
    Mouse Microsoft Surface Mouse
    OS Windows 10Pro

Agreed with the UEFI update

Thank you for bringing this up. Totally. Would like to see this addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by linxeye View Post
    Hello,

I'd like to know if Asus plans to udpate X99 BIOSes providing full support of Microsoft eDrive technology. This to allow enabling BitLocker on a Samsung 960 EVO/PRO set as boot drive.

Apparently Samsung support says motherboards need a BIOS update to support eDrive (see: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...id/188/page/10)

"After investigating the HW encryption problems from a compatibility point of view, we found this issue can be only be fixed with a BIOS update by the motherboard manufacturers.
    Through technical collaboration with one of the major BIOS chipset companies, we have verified that a new BIOS update of the motherboard BIOS works well with the H/W encryption function in our SSD drives. We will continue to verify the solution with the other BIOS chipset companies.
    We expect that the motherboard manufacturers will publicize the information of their BIOS updates for a solution."

Thanks.

ROG Junior Member Array

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by dk2463 View Post
    Thank you for bringing this up. Totally. Would like to see this addressed.
    Just to add I would also like to see support of this and have Samsung 960 Pro. I tried to ask Asus about this so called BIOS fix that Samsung has taken a year to work out is required, but I couldn't get past first line support to get a sensible answer.

Regards

Phil

ROG Enthusiast Array

I guess that now applies to 970... as well ? Any update Asus ?

ROG Junior Member Array

Yes, and Samsung are refusing to provide any sort of qualified hardware list for eDrive support, probably because there is no hardware that supports it.

Asus has not sold the motherboards saying the eDrive feature is supported, and given their lack of input so far would suggest they have no inclination to add support to existing products.

It is possible to get Opal working, and typing a password in a pre-boot OS, however this doesn't support standby/sleep, so once Windows sleeps and wakes up the system crashes as Windows can't access the drive anymore. Of course it is just a case of disabling standby (hibernate still works as that is a full reboot and allows the pre-boot to run and unlock the drive), but it's a pain on a laptop not to have standby.

Regards

Phil

ROG Member Array

yes Unfortunately, asus really needs to stop ignoring this problem that is on-going for more than 1 year and releasea bios update.Not even the 1 month old z390 series have this bug fixed.Really sad to see this being an asus fan.