cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

brand new g53sx has no display, help please!

chansigril
Level 7
received the box today, undamaged... needless to say very excited to have finally received my new g53sx-th71!

after opening the box and carefully unpacking everything, installed the battery and set the laptop down... then brought it to life by pressing the power button! lights in the upper left-hand corner lit up, keyboard flashed to life... but no screen. no splash of the asus name, nothing. power light below the mouse is working, battery charge light is lit, i can hear fans running and after a moment the hard drive light begins to show hdd activity... but no display. have turned it on and off a few times by holding down the power button to shut it off then rebooting it, have tried opening and closing the screen a few times to see if that would have any effect... removed the battery and reseated it... being brand new i hesitate to open it up for fear of voiding my warranty 😞

had considered hooking up an external monitor but imagine as in the older days you need to configure it in settings before your desktop automatically gets extended or mirrored.

any help? suggestions before i call asus? have to say i'm very disappointed at this moment and eager for some aid or ideas 😞
15 REPLIES 15

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Don't pursue it as a warranty issue with Asus......as soon as you initiate that, you own that unit and all its problems. And who knows what else might be wrong with it....

Take/send it back to your retailer, ASAP. Get a different unit.

PS: This is not a huge surprise, BTW The G53 video cable must be fragile, poorly-placed, or poorly-installed in some units. We've seen several reports now of G53 owners losing all video.

PPS: IF you want to try an external monitor, Fn+F8 switches the video output.

BrodyBoy wrote:
Don't pursue it as a warranty issue with Asus......as soon as you initiate that, you own that unit and all its problems. And who knows what else might be wrong with it....

Take/send it back to your retailer, ASAP. Get a different unit.

PS: This is not a huge surprise, BTW The G53 video cable must be fragile, poorly-placed, or poorly-installed in some units. We've seen several reports now of G53 owners losing all video.

PPS: IF you want to try an external monitor, Fn+F8 switches the video output.

btw, any more information on this? i searched (albeit briefly) for other similar threads and didn't come across anything.

regardless, laptop is now on it's way back to tiger direct and new one is on it's way to me. here's hoping for the best 🙂

received the new laptop, pleased to announce all is well with it, seems like a great laptop thus far.

creating recovery dvd set now, disc 3.

thanks for the advice and information folks!

purchased a 120gb intel 320 series ssd drive to install as a boot drive, have to say i was disappointed with the amount of effort required to install it compared to hdd installations i've done on other laptops.

link for any interested:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Disassemble-and-Upgrade-the-ASUS-G53SXSW/?ALLSTEPS

most laptops i've worked on have a cover to allow access to hdd and ram... not so with this one. do have to say the overall laptop construction does seem to be quite solid and well built however.

will keep this thread updated as progress continues and gaming commences 😄

xeromist
Could be the magnetic display sensor. Anyone know where it is on the G53? On the G73 it's on the left side of the keyboard near the num/capslock. Rubbing a magnet in that area and then lifting it causes the 73 display to go off & on.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Could be the magnetic display sensor. Anyone know where it is on the G53? On the G73 it's on the left side of the keyboard near the num/capslock. Rubbing a magnet in that area and then lifting it causes the 73 display to go off & on.

That is also a known issue with the G53, but it's clear that his unit is actually powering up and functioning. WHen the magnetic sensor is messed up, the machine usually doesn't even power on.

In the G53, I believe it's to the right of the touchpad, along the front edge.

Either way, though....video cable, magnetic sensor, something else....it's a brand new unit and I wouldn't accept basic hardware troubleshooting as part of my out-of-the-box experience! He should insist on a perfect unit up front....and let Asus deal with this unit as a refurb or whatever.

think i'll be rma'ing to tiger direct tomorrow :mad: thanks for the advice folks 😞

xeromist wrote:

everything i've read about this issue indicates the unit will not power up when this issue is present as the laptop believes the lid is still closed. this is not the case in my instance.

hooked up an external monitor and nothing either.

man am i salty :mad:

fuzon1337
Level 10
Do not RMA your situation, complain and claim that you will have a new notebook since this is a DOA situation.

Or else as he says:
BrodyBoy wrote:

Stand on your demands!
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Who is your retailer, chansigril?