Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 26 of 26
  1. #21
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array geneo PC Specs
    geneo PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus X Code
    ProcessorIntel 8086K @ 5.1Ghz
    Memory (part number)32 GB (2x16) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200 MHz CL14 @ 3600 15-16-37
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix 2070 Super A8G
    MonitorEIZO Coloredge CG2730 and Dell
    Storage #1Samsung 512 GB 960 Pro
    Storage #21TB 850 x 1 TB 860 EVO RAID0, 6 TB WDC Black HDD
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 Chromax
    CaseFractal Design R4 w/ tempered glass
    Power Supply750W Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
    Keyboard CM Quickfire Rapid TKL
    Mouse Logitech G305
    Headset Bose
    Headset/Speakers Vanatoo T1, ML Dynamo 300
    OS Windows 10 Pro X64
    geneo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Reputation
    27
    Posts
    371

    Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    I believe you cannot enable hardware encryption on Windows BitLocker because you do not have any crypto hardware installed.

    You need a 14-1 pin Trusted Platform Module (TPM), as specified on page 1-26 of the mobo user manual.
    Once installed, it will be detected by the firmware and present new options on the user BIOS.

    These are made by a variety of manufacturers. And they're more than just security "tokens", RAS-128 PRNGs, or cypher/password tables ... they're active cryptologic circuits with their own onboard processing and memories.
    ASUS happens to sell the best consumer model available, the most recent Infineon part with a pretty black PCB which doesn't clash with ROG mobos:
    https://www.amazon.com/Asus-TPM-M-R2.../dp/B01DQQLH74
    https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-TPM-M-R2-.../dp/B01DQQLH74



    (While crypto modules are legally unrestricted "over the counter" stuff listed in many vendor inventories, I have learned that in reality they can be sort of difficult for consumers to obtain in Canada. You can still get one if you're persistent, but they're always "backordered" or "out of stock" or subject to other costs and delays which make actually procuring one a bit of a hassle ... I suspect our border agents are apprehensive about letting Canadian citizens have better crypto than Canadian government has, lol. I basically gave up on the stupid time-wasting games and obtained Supermicro TPMs through enterprise channels, better crypto perhaps, but alas they have ugly cheap industrial generic green PCBs.)
    The 8700 chipset has an integrated TPM. No need for an external chip. You just need to enable it in the BIOS.

  2. #22
    ROG Junior Member Array vslee PC Specs
    vslee PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WiFi AC)
    ProcessorIntel Core i5 8600K
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    Power SupplySeasonic FOCUS Plus Platinum
    OS Windows 10 Pro

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Looks like ASRock has gotten this to work on the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/AC motherboard. Now just waiting on Asus to get it working on their motherboards as well. https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...ght/true#M2963

  3. #23
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    11

    Quote Originally Posted by vslee View Post
    Looks like ASRock has gotten this to work on the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/AC motherboard. Now just waiting on Asus to get it working on their motherboards as well. https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...ght/true#M2963
    meanwhile asus, considered a superior company doesn't seem to care too much about providing 100% compatibility with nvme m2 ssds...sad

  4. #24
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    For whatever it's worth, ASRock's support for eDrive was also wishy-washy. My X370 Gaming K4 was still incompatible as of Julyish when I yanked my board and replaced it with the Strix X470-F.

    Aside from the memory compatibility issues on the K4, I also had the inability to use eDrive with my NVME SSD and hoped to kill two birds with one stone by swapping to an Asus board.

    Every Asus BIOS update, I decrypt and attempt to encrypt again to see if it's been fixed. Still nothing.

    I would fathom that this is a very niche feature and Asus has determined it's not worth the effort to implement, especially given the fact that all of these variables need to be true:

    1. SED NVME drive is installed
    2. User has put drive in a ready to encrypt state
    3. User has wiped the drive via secure erase to enable encrypted drive
    4. User meets all requirements for eDrive from a UEFI level (secure boot and the like)
    5. User meets all requirements for Bitlocker (TPM, etc etc)
    6. User decides to enable Bitlocker

    If someone doesn't meet ALL of those requirements, they'd never notice the feature is missing.

  5. #25
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    11

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusher6 View Post
    For whatever it's worth, ASRock's support for eDrive was also wishy-washy. My X370 Gaming K4 was still incompatible as of Julyish when I yanked my board and replaced it with the Strix X470-F.

    Aside from the memory compatibility issues on the K4, I also had the inability to use eDrive with my NVME SSD and hoped to kill two birds with one stone by swapping to an Asus board.

    Every Asus BIOS update, I decrypt and attempt to encrypt again to see if it's been fixed. Still nothing.

    I would fathom that this is a very niche feature and Asus has determined it's not worth the effort to implement, especially given the fact that all of these variables need to be true:

    1. SED NVME drive is installed
    2. User has put drive in a ready to encrypt state
    3. User has wiped the drive via secure erase to enable encrypted drive
    4. User meets all requirements for eDrive from a UEFI level (secure boot and the like)
    5. User meets all requirements for Bitlocker (TPM, etc etc)
    6. User decides to enable Bitlocker

    If someone doesn't meet ALL of those requirements, they'd never notice the feature is missing.
    their bios updates are a joke bubbling about the same evasive change logs like improved stability bla bla or not putting any changelong at all .
    My z390 mb was released 1 month ago, they released 3 bios updates, none of them fixed the edrive or the qinstaller feature problem as described here https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/commen...staller_stuck/
    real problems like edrive can potntially take weeks to fix and that would be a real bios update, the updates that are released look that they are made by some average joe technician that plays for few hours with the bios software and makes useless and insignificant changes only just so they could say some updates were released .Edrive problem is over 1 year old but why fix it when thy can fool arround with useless bios updates.
    Btw, you dont need tpm for bitlocker, you can use a pasword instead which is safer than a tpm just less convenient
    Last edited by saddameu; 12-07-2018 at 10:12 PM.

  6. #26
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by saddameu View Post
    Btw, you dont need tpm for bitlocker, you can use a pasword instead which is safer than a tpm just less convenient
    won't get into the semantics of what is "safer", but I use both tpm and password.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •