cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus FX553VD Compatibility with NVMe M2 SSD Drives ?

koeks525
Level 7
Hi guys,

I have the Asus FX553VD notebook. The notebook is great, it is the hard drive slowing everything down. I have confirmed with the ASUS technical support team that my warranty will not be void if I open up the laptop to install a NVME drive.

I am interested in purchasing the Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2 PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Solid State Drive. (https://www.wootware.co.za/samsung-960-evo-500gb-nvme-m-2-pci-express-3-0-x4-solid-state-drive.html )

I would like to know, does this laptop support NVME drives?

Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

dessyleung
Level 7
Go to start and type in "emanual", and you can find out from there.
Even my FX503VD is supported, so I don't see why the FX533VD won't be.

rocketcat22
Level 7
Asus emanual did not provide any information about FX553VD compability...

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Both M.2 SATA and PCIe NVMe SSDs are supported for the FX 553VD.

Then I Googled more and I found this from the other thread 🙂 So Samsung M.2 850, 860, 960 and 970 EVO SSD's are compatible according other thread.

pillainp
Level 7
Yup, the FX553VD is absolutely compatible with 2280 M.2 NVME drives. The install process is extremely simple too. The only sad thing is that the M.2 slot does not come with an M.2 screw attached so you will have to find one for yourself.

I am using a Samsung 960 EVO as my boot drive.

I have also upgraded my regular HDD from the OE Hitachi 1TB to a Seagate Firecuda 2TB.

Next step is to increase RAM from 8GB to 16GB if I can find a good 3000MHz kit.*

After Windows 10 Update I got the "Bad System Config Info" Error.
I have tried all the recommended fixes but none worked for my GL553 VD laptop.
Need to format my drive and lost everything.
I am now thinking to upgrade my laptop with a new ssd Samsung 970 EVO drive just for my O.S.
Is this ssd drive compatible with my GL553VD laptop?

tolisver wrote:
I am now thinking to upgrade my laptop with a new ssd Samsung 970 EVO drive just for my O.S.

Yes it is.

Just be sure to install the Samsung NVMe drivers, now at version 3.*

tolisver wrote:

The FX553VD does not support PCIe M.2 NVMe SSDs. I installed one and after an hour of usage it burnt my motherboard. I contacted ASUS and they told me it only supports PCIe M.2 SATA 3 drives. Its not stated in the manually but they have officially confirmed this with me so I would advice against PCIe M.2 NVMe SSDs. They said anyone using NVMe drives will face problems later. NVMe SSDs have a single notch. PCIe SATA SSDs have 2 notches.

The FX553VD does not support PCIe M.2 NVMe SSDs. I installed one and after an hour of usage it burnt my motherboard. I contacted ASUS and they told me it only supports PCIe M.2 SATA 3 drives. Its not stated in the manually but they have officially confirmed this with me so I would advice against PCIe M.2 NVMe SSDs. They said anyone using NVMe drives will face problems later. NVMe SSDs have a single notch. PCIe SATA SSDs have 2 notches.

Devenom1 wrote:

What exactly do you mean? how is it possible??
Any screenshot of your conversation?

PJayZ wrote:
What exactly do you mean? how is it possible??
Any screenshot of your conversation?

I was told about this in person by the service center. So I do not have any proof of that. I do have the call recorded with ASUS though but I have to go through all my call recordings to find it.

Anyway I am sending proof of a mail I have sent to them just now. Hopefully this helps. I have blurred of the email address because it looks like its one of the employees email address. I assure you its an official email by ASUS because it ends with '@asus.com'.

Hopefully this helps. I am just posting this to help others be on the safe side.

I will keep you guys updated.