Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by PJayZ View Post
    What exactly do you mean? how is it possible??
    Any screenshot of your conversation?
    I was told about this in person by the service center. So I do not have any proof of that. I do have the call recorded with ASUS though but I have to go through all my call recordings to find it.

Anyway I am sending proof of a mail I have sent to them just now. Hopefully this helps. I have blurred of the email address because it looks like its one of the employees email address. I assure you its an official email by ASUS because it ends with '@asus.com'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Email.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	81817

Hopefully this helps. I am just posting this to help others be on the safe side.

I will keep you guys updated.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
    How strange of them to say that!!

I have had a Samsung 960 Evo running in PCIE3 x 4 mode in my FX553VD for the past year.

Most definitely the laptop supports PCIE M.2 drives.

Says so righ on the Specifications page:
    https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-FX...pecifications/
    Yes the laptop supports PCIe M.2 drives. But then again there are 2 types. PCIe M.2 NVMe and PCIe M.2 SATA.

I know that there are many people that have used PCIE M.2 NVMe drives. I have informed ASUS about this. They have confirmed that PCIe M.2 SATA drives are the only drives supported.

The Samsung 960 EVO is a PCIe M.2 NVMe drive and yes I have heard of many people using it. I'm just letting people know about this because it damaged my motherboard (which was luckily under warranty).

I will keep you guys updated. Please refer to my answer above. It has a screenshot of the mail I have sent to ASUS.

For reference, this is the difference between M.2 PCIe NVMe (Top) drives and M.2 PCIe SATA(Bottom) drives.

Name:	what-are-m2-drives.jpg.optimal.jpg 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	81818

ROG Member Array pillainp PC Specs
    pillainp PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus FX553VD w 960 Evo 250GB + Samsung 860 Evo 2TB + 16GB DDR42400
    MotherboardAsus Maximus X Code
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-4000C18D-16GTZR 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Zotac GTX 1660 Ti AMP! 6GB GDDR6
    MonitorDell UP2716D 27"
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Evo 250GB M.2 PCIe NVMe
    Storage #2Samsung 840 Pro 256GB; 3x WD Black 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i + Corsair AF140 Red x 2
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 450D
    Power SupplyCoolermaster Vanguard V1000
    Keyboard Logitech G213
    Mouse Logitech G102 Prodigy
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterTP-Link TD-W8970

Quote Originally Posted by Devenom1 View Post
    Yes the laptop supports PCIe M.2 drives. But then again there are 2 types. PCIe M.2 NVMe and PCIe M.2 SATA.

I know that there are many people that have used PCIE M.2 NVMe drives. I have informed ASUS about this. They have confirmed that PCIe M.2 SATA drives are the only drives supported.

The Samsung 960 EVO is a PCIe M.2 NVMe drive and yes I have heard of many people using it. I'm just letting people know about this because it damaged my motherboard (which was luckily under warranty).

I will keep you guys updated. Please refer to my answer above. It has a screenshot of the mail I have sent to ASUS.

For reference, this is the difference between M.2 PCIe NVMe (Top) drives and M.2 PCIe SATA(Bottom) drives.

Name:	what-are-m2-drives.jpg.optimal.jpg 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	81818
    I do have the PCIe M.2 960 Evo, and it has been working perfectly since I installed it nearly one year ago.

In fact, I just bought an 860 Evo SATA 2TB SSD to keep it company after my Seagate FireCuda 2TB (upgraded by me from Stock Hitachi 1TB) died after a minor impact.

New ROGer Array

I do have the PCIe M.2 960 Evo, and it has been working perfectly since I installed it nearly one year ago.

In fact, I just bought an 860 Evo SATA 2TB SSD to keep it company after my Seagate FireCuda 2TB (upgraded by me from Stock Hitachi 1TB) died after a minor impact.
    I had installed an SSD with the same specifications as given by ASUS for this model. I just recieved a call saying that I have not followed the instructions and that I should have visited a service center and that's why the SSD burnt my motherboard. And when I had given it to the service center they said that this SSD is not supported. I even explained to them that it is not given anywhere that the SSD installation has to be done MANDATORILY at a service center. But they insist that it's my fault for not getting it done by a service center and following a manual. Don't you guys think this is unfair? I've spent Rs. 7000/- and installed an SSD as per the specifications stated by ASUS. And they now claim it's my fault. So I can't do anything with the SSD now.

pillainp PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus FX553VD w 960 Evo 250GB + Samsung 860 Evo 2TB + 16GB DDR42400
    MonitorDell UP2716D 27"
    Keyboard Logitech G213
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Devenom1 View Post
    I had installed an SSD with the same specifications as given by ASUS for this model. I just recieved a call saying that I have not followed the instructions and that I should have visited a service center and that's why the SSD burnt my motherboard. And when I had given it to the service center they said that this SSD is not supported. I even explained to them that it is not given anywhere that the SSD installation has to be done MANDATORILY at a service center. But they insist that it's my fault for not getting it done by a service center and following a manual. Don't you guys think this is unfair? I've spent Rs. 7000/- and installed an SSD as per the specifications stated by ASUS. And they now claim it's my fault. So I can't do anything with the SSD now.
    I installed my M.2 PCIe 960 Evo all my own lonesome.
    The only problem I faced was that the d****d stingy Asus people do not provide an M.2 screw with the laptop, at least in India (probably would have increased the cost exponentially), so I had to liberate one from my brand new Maximus IX Apex, which I had been hoping to sell off and cannot now.

But holy crap does the laptop boot fast.

BY the way, I have also upgraded my RAM from 8GB to 16GB, and replaced the HDD with a 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD. All this also by myself.

I am beginning to suspect that you somehow shorted something when you installed the M.2.

By the way, where in India are you?
    Last edited by pillainp; 09-24-2019 at 06:04 PM.

New ROGer Array

I installed my M.2 PCIe 960 Evo all my own lonesome.
    The only problem I faced was that the d****d stingy Asus people do not provide an M.2 screw with the laptop, at least in India (probably would have increased the cost exponentially), so I had to liberate one from my brand new Maximus IX Apex, which I had been hoping to sell off and cannot now.

But holy crap does the laptop boot fast.

BY the way, I have also upgraded my RAM from 8GB to 16GB, and replaced the HDD with a 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD. All this also by myself.

I am beginning to suspect that you somehow shorted something when you installed the M.2.

By the way, where in India are you?
    I am from Bangalore. I have actually been setting my own systems since forever. I installed the SSD. I made sure it was placed properly. And then I put the screw which I had to get separately. After doing this I booted to the BIOS to check if the SSD was detected. It was in deed and I continued to boot it. I went on and started installing an OS on it. It was working fine for an hour or so after which it turned off and never gave any display. When I took it to the service center they immediately said that I should not have installed a NVMe SSD since it is not supported and thats what made it burn my motherboard. Making it seem like my fault. So just to be sure I contacted ASUS by email and they told me that I should listen to the service center and that they are right NVMe SSDs are not supported.

So now I contacted ASUS again, informing them that I the SSD I purchased was exactly as per the specifications on their manual and website. The guy I spoke to directly said that the issue is that I installed it myself without going to a service center. (He in fact did mention that NVMe PCIe GEN 3 x 4 SSDs are supported. This is the same type I have installed. And his statement conflicts with that of the service center). I mentioned that the manual does not mandate but recommends getting it installed through a service center. But he went on to make it seem like my fault. He then assumed that I did not go through the website and read the specs and said its my fault I only read the manual. So I told him I would get my laptop and the same SSD (replaced under warranty) to the service center and have them install it since it is exactly as per the specifications for this laptop. I asked him if this was done and my motherboard got burnt again would ASUS do anything about it? He then started refusing this resolution and was trying to direct the blame on me . Saying I have no technical knowledge.

This type of customer service is very unacceptable. I have a SSD with which I cannot do anything right now. I paid a sum of Rs. 7000/- for it.

pillainp PC Specs
    MonitorDell UP2716D 27"
    Keyboard Logitech G213
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Does your laptop boot without the SSD?

New ROGer Array

Does your laptop boot without the SSD?
    Not when the SSD fried the motherboard. They have replaced the motherboard under warranty and I haven't tried installing the SSD ever since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2