cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Hero ATAPI devices are not supported ???

AM_GH
Level 7
Hello
I want to buy Maximus IX Hero but I see this in user manual pdf:

- 6 x SATA 6Gb/s ports **
** These SATA ports are for data hard drivers only. ATAPI devices are not supported.

Why??
I don't see Asmedia Sata controller in this motherboard..
12 REPLIES 12

davemon50
Level 11
Your optical devices will need to be SATA interface.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Your optical devices will need to be SATA interface.

There are 6 Sata ports (Intel Z270 Chipset) in Maximus IX Hero so why not support ATAPI devices ??

AM.GH wrote:
There are 6 Sata ports (Intel Z270 Chipset) in Maximus IX Hero so why not support ATAPI devices ??

I think at some point vendors have to leave legacy protocols and systems in the past

mcleod52 wrote:
I think at some point vendors have to leave legacy protocols and systems in the past

But someone need optical drive.

davemon50
Level 11
So, again: Your optical devices will need to be SATA interface.

When you put a system together devices must be coordinated with the motherboard's abilities; part of the process. Pretty much every mainstream board offers a few legacy options and a few "future-ready" options. And then mainly what's mainstream today. If you want additional legacy or future-ready options then you need to research and find the higher end boards that offer it.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
So, again: Your optical devices will need to be SATA interface.

When you put a system together devices must be coordinated with the motherboard's abilities; part of the process. Pretty much every mainstream board offers a few legacy options and a few "future-ready" options. And then mainly what's mainstream today. If you want additional legacy or future-ready options then you need to research and find the higher end boards that offer it.

You mistaken in my question
I have optical drive with sata interface but see this line in user manual of Maximus IX Hero:

- 6 x SATA 6Gb/s ports **
** These SATA ports are for data hard drivers only. ATAPI devices are not supported.

I see this line in matherboard with asmedia sata controller but Maximus IX Hero don't have asmedia sata controller

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
Why a 1998 interface? for a hard disk or CDROM. There is a sirca or legacy device you want to use?
Learn, Play Enjoy!

davemon50
Level 11
OK so your question is not about ATAPI it's about Asmedia. The fact is they will provide you essentially the same control as I understand it but the Asmedia controller has a slightly lower performance, not visible to the typical user.

Do you need more than 6 of them, is that why you are asking? The Z270 chipset handles up to 6, which is what's on the board.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
OK so your question is not about ATAPI it's about Asmedia. The fact is they will provide you essentially the same control as I understand it but the Asmedia controller has a slightly lower performance, not visible to the typical user.

Do you need more than 6 of them, is that why you are asking? The Z270 chipset handles up to 6, which is what's on the board.

so can use optical drive sata in Maximus IX Hero???