cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMING Possible Issues ?

kt_wasp
Level 7
Hi,

I recently just built a system to upgrade from my older build and I think there may be a problem with the GPU. I was hoping someone might have some advice.

Core components:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU
Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming MB
Asus ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMING GPU
G.SKILL Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 RAM
Seasonic Focus Plus SSR-650FX 650W 80+ Gold PSU
Western Digital Black 1TB HDD
Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS

Reusing my older ASUS VW266H 25.5" 1920x1200 monitor.

The problem.
I first noticed that on of my older games, that I never had a problem with, was acting weird and I was getting green lines shooting across the screen for a split second. It always did this while performing a particular action in the game (America's Army: Proving Grounds while reviving a fallen team mate).

I then tried Battlefiled 1 and kept getting some stuttering and micro freezing ocassionally. I only had it set to high, not even Ultra, which this combo should be able to run.. especially considering its basically 1080.

I got worried and started to look for something else to test the card out. I then noticed that the Asus GPU came with a link to furmark. So I tried it out for a couple of minutes and came up with an alarming result. While testing under OpenGL it ran fine and running it again while scanning for artifacts, it came up clean. I then tried the Vulkan version and it ran fine... but when I tried it with the artifact scanner running, it had MASSIVE artifacts. I ran it for only one minute and came up with 33,733 artifacts!!

https://imgur.com/QiIKEsp

Everything is at stock and was built a couple of days ago.
I fully updated Windows 10.
I tried the divers that came with the GPU. I tried the newest offical ADM drivers and I tried the newest AMD beta drivers. I get the same results with all.
I uninstalled all Asus software and got the same results.
I reinstalled Asus software and got the same results.

I'm not sure if it is my GPU or a problem with furmark.. but combined with the game issues I'm experiencing so far, I'm leaning towards a bad GPU?? I still have time to RMA the card and get it replaced. I just wanted to see if anyone else has problems running furmark vulkan, with scanner enabled, with their RX 580.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Ryzen94511
Level 7
Rma

stewart_1
Level 8
Yep... looks like your GPU has a fault. RMA info:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?4814-ASUS-Worldwide-RMA-Guide

Thank you for the reply. I did end up sending it back to the retailer I purchased it from for a replacement. It is in transit to them now, so hopefully I will get the replacement by early next week. I will be sure to update once the new one comes in.

EDIT: Managed to reproduce on another RX580 GPU, most probably a software issue, here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101488-FurMark-ROG-Edition-Vulkan-test-artifacts-on-RX580

Hi,

I'll hijack this thread since I'm having the same exact issue, with the same card. I received my RX580 (Strix) this Monday, and ran it through the Uniengine benchmarks (Valley and Heaven), without problems. Then I went and did some gaming, no problems neither in a normal desktop game nor in VR.

But I decided to get the GpuTweakII to see the GPU performance in real time from a trusted software, and saw that the FurMark benchmark was available. And lo and behold, when running Vulkan-benchmarks, I get heavy artifacting.
Screenshots collected in this drive folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QNekCeq7mte-SS1YqAJQ2Rz9xeUOEkyi?usp=sharing

So I went troubleshooting to narrow the issue down. Long story short, the artifacts only show up when the "artifact scanner" is enabled, again, see in the shared folder. Without it, everything seems good.

I tried wiping the drivers with safe mode/DDU and installing again, with no change. I tried several Vulkan versions, back to the ones inlcuded in "Non-WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.11.4-Nov27", and the issue still stays.

I know of no other software to benchmark using Vulkan, so I'm not really sure how to proceed here in order to confirm whether it's a hardware issue or something wrong with FurMark's artifact scanner for Vulkan.

An issue has been posted where I'm awaiting responses.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

FurMark ROG Edition v0.6.1.0

Intel i5 6600k
24GB DDR4 RAM (2x4 + 2x8) @ 2133 MHz
MSI Z170A Krait Gaming
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

HI Mattedatten,

I would like to update.

So, my retailer did accept the return and sent a new card. I can confirm that I am still getting the same problem with the Vulkan Furmark w/ scanner enabled (massive artifacts). At this point I would have to say it is either a problem with furmark, an AMD driver issue or a problem with this particular varient of card. Thing is, I've seen other pictures of both AMD and Nvidia cards running furmark-Vulkan, with scanner enabled, and not exibiting this issue. So, I'm not sure what is going on here.

I am still getting the same random lines across my screen in that one game (America's Army: Proving Grounds), all other games are fine thus far. On my old computer , running a Phenom IIx6 1090T and a HD6950 2GB, with the last 6000-series supported drivers, I do not get this issue in that game at all. So, does that point towards a problem with the later drivers??

Not sure, but this is my first Asus branded AMD GPU. This is the only time, after years and several generations of AMD GPUs, that I'm experiencing these types of issues. So it is either an Asus specific thing, an Amd driver thing or a RX 580 thing. Wish I could track down which one it is.

kt_wasp wrote:
So it is either an Asus specific thing, an Amd driver thing or a RX 580 thing. Wish I could track down which one it is.

Yeah, would be great with some Asus-backup on this case. Maybe someone here has a few RX5xx (RX4xx?)-cards who could try reproducing.

At this point I am more or less sure that it's the Furmark messing up. I tried with several Vulkan-versions (including without Vulkan installed - which only crashed the benchmark), and the result was the same all the time. In addition, we now have three Asus-cards and a Sapphire card with the exact same behaviour in this Furmark test. I guess it could still be a driver issue, but, regardless; I want to rule out hardware problems.

Could you specify when and where in the game you are getting these green lines? I've never played it, but since it's free on Steam, as far as I can see, I could download it and give it a try, to see if I get the same result.

Mattedatten wrote:
Yeah, would be great with some Asus-backup on this case. Maybe someone here has a few RX5xx (RX4xx?)-cards who could try reproducing.

At this point I am more or less sure that it's the Furmark messing up. I tried with several Vulkan-versions (including without Vulkan installed - which only crashed the benchmark), and the result was the same all the time. In addition, we now have three Asus-cards and a Sapphire card with the exact same behaviour in this Furmark test. I guess it could still be a driver issue, but, regardless; I want to rule out hardware problems.

Could you specify when and where in the game you are getting these green lines? I've never played it, but since it's free on Steam, as far as I can see, I could download it and give it a try, to see if I get the same result.

so I'm not the only one.

I have a Strix RX 570 with the same problem.

Got the RMA to fix this card. They said it was a defect and they fixed it. Came home and try, still got the same problem.

Any suggestions?