cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG GL551JM can't update to Win 10 1709. Hassled on a daily basis.

majhoop
Level 7
I've been hassled by this for 2 months now. Recently I enlisted Microsoft support twice. They took control of the laptop. The 1st one spent an hour and said it was well on it's way. The update failed. Then some weeks later another tried it and said my Bios was from 2014 and had to be at least from 2016. I then tried help from Asus. She walked me through updating the bios but I only seem to be allowed to install version 205 which seems to be from 2015. All the updates say they fail and then restore an earlier version. Today, it just went in a loop and was impossible to boot until I got a tip to press shift and power. I've been unable to turn off the updates. Any help appreciated. Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes try a repair install, download and create USB install media, backup your eSupport folder if you have one. Start the install while you're in windows by right-clicking the install.exe and run as admin, install saving your files. Most of your software will be saved also. once you get back into the new windows unplug from the internet and install your hardware drivers from your eSupport folder or the ones you already have downloaded since the install will have installed windows, native drivers, our notebooks don't like those drivers Asus Support Downloads
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm
Level 14
majhoop wrote:
I been hassled by this for 2 months now. Recently I enlisted Microsoft support twice. They took control of the laptop. The 1st one spent an hour and said it was well on it's way. The update failed. Then some weeks later another tried it and said my Bios was from 2014 and had to be at least from 2016. I then tried help from Asus. She walked me through updating the bios but I only seem to be allowed to install version 205 which seems to be from 2015. All the updates say they fail and then restore an earlier version. Today, it just went in a loop and was impossible to boot until I got a tip to press shift and power. I've been unable to turn off the updates. Any help appreciated. Thanks

if you can hold out a couple of weeks, we have SCU update coming out, it will be in the MCT that I linked you too. keep checking until at the top of the page it says Spring Creator update included. Right now it still says Fall Creator update. if you can hold out for a couple of weeks if not you'll end up downloading and install all the updates since FCU and correcting drivers after each one.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
if you can hold out a couple of weeks, we have SCU update coming out, it will be in the MCT that I linked you too. keep checking until at the top of the page it says Spring Creator update included. Right now it still says Fall Creator update. if you can hold out for a couple of weeks if not you'll end up downloading and install all the updates since FCU and correcting drivers after each one.

Well, it's been a couple of weeks but no progress. In an attempt to back up Windows I tried to run "Backtracker" even though I got unsafe website messages from Firefox and Iexplorer. Then when I ran Backtracker it gave the message that it wouldn't work on my pc. So how do I insure I have a copy of Windows if the hard drive fails? Regardless, update 1709 tries to run every day and fails and then restores back to what it was and the pc runs just fine except for the update problem. In a week I'll be off my regular internet connection and using mobile internet. I can't be having Windows constantly downloading these big update files that then fail.

majhoop
Level 7
Appreciate your comments. I hadn't heard of an eSupport folder. I found it with 31 files from 2014. By the way this laptop came with Windows 8 and the option to upgrade to 10, which I did some time ago. I'd be OK with waiting a few weeks but I wish I could find a way to stop the daily interruption of windows trying to update. I've turned it off many different ways that I found on other forums. Even a command prompt: net stop wuauserv that I read about . It says it stopped the update and then a few minutes later it starts all over again. Is the bios I mentioned the latest one for my laptop? Thanks.

majhoop wrote:
Appreciate your comments. I hadn't heard of an eSupport folder. I found it with 31 files from 2014. By the way this laptop came with Windows 8 and the option to upgrade to 10, which I did some time ago. I'd be OK with waiting a few weeks but I wish I could find a way to stop the daily interruption of windows trying to update. I've turned it off many different ways that I found on other forums. Even a command prompt: net stop wuauserv that I read about . It says it stopped the update and then a few minutes later it starts all over again. Is the bios I mentioned the latest one for my laptop? Thanks.

!st thing this morning the update attempt starts again. After a failed update the laptop shows a check disk, scan disk and repair message for a few seconds.

majhoop wrote:
!st thing this morning the update attempt starts again. After a failed update the laptop shows a check disk, scan disk and repair message for a few seconds.

That don't sound good if you have a spinner I would be changing it out. your probably dropping cluster and that is preventing the update from completing since pieces are missing from the file.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
That don't sound good if you have a spinner I would be changing it out. your probably dropping cluster and that is preventing the update from completing since pieces are missing from the file.

Thanks for the reply. It's a SSD not a spinning HD. The only time it ever happens is about 1 out of every 4 failed updates. It just takes a short time for the scan but makes me nervous to imagine what the update has been doing. I'll look into diagnosing the HD. I still haven't heard a reply on the latest possible Bios for this model. Is it 205?

cdrshm
Level 7
I had an issue similar to this, try disabling SMART in the bios..

cdrshm wrote:
I had an issue similar to this, try disabling SMART in the bios..

72805 Attached is a screenshot from the web on how the bios should look. My bios just lists
>SATA Configuration
>Graphics Configuration
>Network Stack Configuration
>USB Configuration
The image enclosed has SMART Settings in between Graphics and Network. So I guess I don't have that in my BIOS?