cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Western Digital Black SSD

Hopper64
Level 15
Any experience with these drives or WD products in general? Specs look pretty impressive.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/western-digital-unveils-black-3d-nvme-m2-ssd.html
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro
5 REPLIES 5

Menthol
Level 14
Not I, it's starting to look like everyone is catching up on performance, little harder to determine which to chose now

SGMRock
Level 9
Used the Black Versions of the HDD's for a long time always performed good and they have always been good with service for me as well. I did look into these SSD's some but haven't bought one yet either. Was thinking about it though as they are a good bit cheaper than the Samsung 960 Pros with about the same warranty. I've stayed away from the Samsung 960 EVO because of the shorter warranty. Since I pass a lot of my hardware to my wife or kids I like them to last.
Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex 2002 BIOS / Intel i9-7900X / G.Skill TridentZ RBG F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 17-17-17-37
LG 38" 38GL950G-B Ultrawide / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid/ Sound Blaster AE-5
Corsair H115i Pro CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2 / Corsair Arctic White T780 Case

Vlada011
Level 10
I used WD Black for HDD and recommend WD to everyone. Actually I can't say that I know people who had problems with them and many of them I know use WD.
WD Black and now WD Gold are best. Some new models of WD Black and bigger capacity of WD Gold have 256MB Cache.
If someone still have data on different 500GB, 750GB, SATA II, etc and want to use one HDD I always recommend WD Black.
One normal HDD Bay have space for 3-4 3.5" HDD. That mean one HDD 4-6-10 TB, and 2x SSD SATA III are enough to normal users to keep inside PC everyday.

Everything else could be keept on WD External HDDs.
I will not use WD M.2 but I plan to buy 2TB External HDD USB 3.0 My Passport Metal Series. It's not expensive and very nice.
You can always bring some movies, music with you and play on any computer, laptop, TV. etc..

M.2 now Samsung is best.
And best to stay with 1TB options.
Eventually if ASUS Hyper 4 x16 PCI-E adapter work for RAID 0 on older chipsets as X79 and X99 than two 960 EVO 500GB.
But for now no confirmation if that work or how to force to work.

davemon50
Level 11
I have to concur with the statements above. I have used Western Digital HDD's for years, and I have three of the Caviar Blacks in my tower right now. In my experience they have been extremely reliable drives, and I have never had one fail in years of service with continued use. They don't even get bad sectors for that matter.......knock on wood!

However, I have not invested in their SSD's yet. I have used the Intel 2.5"FF SSD's with great success, and also am currently using 3 M.2 Samsung 960 Pro SSD's. No WD SSD's yet though, so can't comment on that in particular.
Davemon50

I've been using the WD Black HDD's for years with no issues. I do find them somewhat noisy though. Since I've recently purchased a couple of 960 Pros I don't see the need to switch over just for marginal gains, if any.

I did have an 8TB WD Red NAS HDD crap out after a year though....