cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VS - Final cooling solution for $7.00. Seriously... No... Seriously

SpookyWatcher
Level 7
You may have seen my other cooling solutions which worked well in Windows but in Linux I cannot boost the fans to keep temps where I would like to see them.

So existing fix was: Drill holes, undervolt, and blue painters tape on fan gaps.

This working quite well but some games were still reaching 88c now that ambient temps are getting higher so I looked for another solution.

I bought a $7.02 pci slot fan from Antec. *https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16835888309?ignorebbr=true&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile&cm_mmc=K...

I pried off the metal grate and used blue painters tape to tape the fan to the middle area between the two exhaust areas blowing INTO the laptop. Hooked it up to a 12 volt power plug that i got from radio shack many years ago.

My temps went from 88c max to 69c max.

The bezel area above the Function keys stays very cool and temps are more than perfect for me. *And it's highly portable and easily removed and reinstalled.

Hope it helps some of you.

Cheers

Spooky Watcher*
9 REPLIES 9

FastM
Level 8
I’m interested, show me pics!*

FastM wrote:
I’m interested, show me pics!*

Here you go...

Here is a pic of the temps:

The max temp is what it got to in my Linux boot playing kerbal without the fan turned on. Then I plugged in the fan and you can see the diff in temps under current value.

They went from 84c to 69-70c quickly after plugging the fan in. It is a bit loud. But it's not an annoying loud. Oh and laptop is just sitting on a couple of water bottle caps under the rubber feet.

Matze2k0
Level 7
Or you could by an Opolar LC06 and attach it the same way.

Matze2k0 wrote:
Or you could by an Opolar LC06 and attach it the same way.

Opolar is $25-30 and pulls air out.

The pci slot fan is $7 and pushes air in the way I have it rigged. Plus I am a cheapskate. 🙂

FastM
Level 8
afaik the Opolar pulls air not push’s.

yeah i can see that working, honestly not to different from a good laptop cooler with a well placed fan directly under the middle bottom grill. I can see this pci cooler maybe pushing a little more air than a typical laptop cooler..

Having that said i highly highly recommend a laptop cooler.. the Aukey one on amazon is not expensive and definitely helps overall temps. (thin and light enough to get throw in a backpack with the laptop)*https://www.amazon.ca/Laptop-Cooling-AUKEY-Portable-Powered/dp/B01D0X9TUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=152...

FastM wrote:
afaik the Opolar pulls air not push’s.

yeah i can see that working, honestly not to different from a good laptop cooler with a well placed fan directly under the middle bottom grill. I can see this pci cooler maybe pushing a little more air than a typical laptop cooler..

Having that said i highly highly recommend a laptop cooler.. the Aukey one on amazon is not expensive and definitely helps overall temps. (thin and light enough to get throw in a backpack with the laptop)*https://www.amazon.ca/Laptop-Cooling-AUKEY-Portable-Powered/dp/B01D0X9TUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=152...

I have one of those but still had to drill holes in the bottom cover and repaste in order to get normal temps.

tkalfaoglu
Level 7
Guys I have a more elegant solution -- buy a regular laptop cooler (the kind that's a pad under the laptop).. Change its fan so it's more powerful, and SEAL ALL THE SIDES (I used window weather foam).. So all air coming from that fan is being forced into the laptop.. Likewise if the laptop cooler pad has holes at the bottom, seal them as well.. When you are done, even when the laptop is off, you should feel air coming out of the laptop grills. It cools down immensely.. Likewise, install CoreCtrl for Linux -- you can keep the laptop around 50C degrees like that..

Cojokek
Level 8
This is so specific to a Linux user =))
Just complicate your life, instead of buying something good =))) hahaha, so specific

Anyway, good idea, I guess...