cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im going crazy.!

chuchu12345
Level 7
Okay i overclocked my i7 6700k yesterday everything is stable thank god. i did overclockit to 4.5 ghz since it's my first time bothering to overclock so it's a decent overclock. i have the asus z170-a motherboard. ok my question is about the v core voltage for the cpu. my voltage is set to 1.31 in manual but in hwmonitor and cpu-z even hwinfo it shows it as 1.280v even in bios!! when i check the v core voltate it says 1.280! but on manual it's 1.31 can somebody explain to me that weird behavior going on?
2 REPLIES 2

jab383
Level 13
The settings and readings all have some tolerance. The tolerance of setting, VRM and the sensor that measures voltage all add up. The difference you are seeing is in bounds of normal behavior - 1.31 to 1.28 is a 2.3% difference. Even if you measured the Vcore with a digital voltmeter, you'd have to spend hundreds to get one with accuracy better than 2%.

There are other things that normally go on with Vcore. Wanna go even crazier? Check how Vcore changes between idle and a full stress test load. That variation is called Load Line Compensation - LLC - in BIOS. Not sure how LLC is done on the z170-a, but on Maximus boards its a number selected between 1 and 8. You may have left it on AUTO which is usually just fine. Put in a couple of widely different settings and see how it changes the difference between idle and loaded Vcore.

I do much overclocking and use the BIOS setting when I'm thinking of Vcore and most others since BIOS setting is version of voltage that I interact with. I check monitored voltages rarely, but at least once per motherboard to be sure the differences are in bounds.

jab383 wrote:
The settings and readings all have some tolerance. The tolerance of setting, VRM and the sensor that measures voltage all add up. The difference you are seeing is in bounds of normal behavior - 1.31 to 1.28 is a 2.3% difference. Even if you measured the Vcore with a digital voltmeter, you'd have to spend hundreds to get one with accuracy better than 2%.

There are other things that normally go on with Vcore. Wanna go even crazier? Check how Vcore changes between idle and a full stress test load. That variation is called Load Line Compensation - LLC - in BIOS. Not sure how LLC is done on the z170-a, but on Maximus boards its a number selected between 1 and 8. You may have left it on AUTO which is usually just fine. Put in a couple of widely different settings and see how it changes the difference between idle and loaded Vcore.

I do much overclocking and use the BIOS setting when I'm thinking of Vcore and most others since BIOS setting is version of voltage that I interact with. I check monitored voltages rarely, but at least once per motherboard to be sure the differences are in bounds.

So is this normal that's happening to me my voltages are good?