cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying question from first time poster, return GL702VI for 8th gen i7 system?

JDogg623
Level 7
I just bought a GL702VI to replace an older laptop with an gtx 880m. I feel like the price was well worth the value for a laptop that included an gtx 1080. *My question, is the 8th gen i7 Mobile chip enough of a game changer for me to return this new laptop? I have been googling and reading through forums but there is just not anything that I can find to give me an understanding on comparing the two processors alone. *Any feed back would be much appreciated.*
4 REPLIES 4

haihane
Level 13
don't mind if i ask:

would you lose value if you were to return the "new" laptop? if yes, by how many % of original purchase price?
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

No I should be able to get a full refund. But price was good. $1899. I know a current system with similar specs including the i7-i9 8th generation would be around $3000 plus. Is that extra money really worth it. I’d rather not spend that much unless it was absolutely going to be a huge difference. Just wondering if the i7 7700hq is good enough. *Thanks for your response.*

FastM
Level 8
Definitely not. The 7700 is definitely good enough.

I haven’t seen benchmarks but I’m willing to bet a lot real world gaming difference will be in the 5% range in gains.

you got a 1080 at a fantastic price, stick with that..

let’s be realistic. Outside of gaming your CPU is sitting idle 95% of the time. In games, the GPU is doing the majority of the work. either CPU is fast enough to supply that 1080 with all the data it needs. *

Look at this review,

*https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel-core-i7-8700k-review-benchmarks

scroll down to the gaming benchmarks, in some cases the 7700 actually posts better numbers..*

Thanks so much for data FastM. It puts any lingering buyers remorse of mine at ease. I really didn’t want to return this system. Plus my wife gave me a hard enough time of trying to justify purchasing a new laptop, lol. Thanks for quick response.*