cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Boot

will_s
Level 7
Have a Hero X with a Samsung 960 M.2, i7 8700k , 32 gig ram , 2 x SSD drives and a Mechanical hard drive. But it takes about a minute to get to my login screen. Just set a Asrock K6 as my 2nd PC and it takes about 10 seconds to boot.

It takes a while before the Asus ROG screen appears and then a while until the booting into win10 screen appears. Besides this my PC works pretty good but it should be quicker then this. Tried changing some settings and ended up with it just booting into the BIOS before I gave up and hit F5 to reset.

Now I have the Corsair Lighting Pro and fans and LINK but surely these only affect Windows when it starts.

At the moment am thinking about putting my 1080ti in my other machine along with the M.2 960 1TB . Actually the only thing stopping me is the fan noise using the Corsair fan controller in the 780 case.

I do have a few USB devices connected like Fanatech pedals and wheels .

Any clues as to what settings to get a fast boot and I do have fast boot enabled
will
14 REPLIES 14

Menthol
Level 14
And if you unplug the USB devices what happens does it boot quicker?

Bqtchef
Level 7
I'm just going to through this out there......
Did you install the Samsung driver for the m.2?

I had happen to me at the start of the year. Boot times getting slower and slower eventually reaching the point of 5+ minutes, on a brand new 8700K.

Found it down to one of my old archive HDDs was finally dying. Unplugging that and i booted less than 30 seconds.

You may have to do a process of elimination.

F0x135 wrote:
I had happen to me at the start of the year. Boot times getting slower and slower eventually reaching the point of 5+ minutes, on a brand new 8700K.

Found it down to one of my old archive HDDs was finally dying. Unplugging that and i booted less than 30 seconds.

You may have to do a process of elimination.

Yeah, same thing happen to me.
Even not dying archive drive take like few seconds to boot.
Make me wish ASUS keep old "SATA SUPPORT" option in old motherboard. Settings it to "boot drive only" fix slow archive hdd boot times.

will_s
Level 7
Actually thinking about unplugging the mechanical hard drive as I rarely use it and it would only take a few seconds to remove the panel and reconnect. Would just removing the power connector do the job ?

and yes, positive I used the Samsung drivers and it shows in Samsung Magician

and just updated the BIOS and timed the boot and its 14 seconds till the ROG splash screen and another 12 seconds to the Windows login screen

and will try unplugging the USB devices to see what happens
will

will_s
Level 7
ok...removed all external USB except mouse and keyboard and no improvement

disconnected mechanical hard drive and no improvement
will

Try disconnecting all drives except the OS.

Also, what's the boot time like if you boot into safe mode?

will_s
Level 7
did that and no difference , also Samsung Magician showed Microsoft drive for the M.2 so I downloaded and am trying that now

safe mode ?

edit: well last boot was 11 seconds to ROG screen and about 8 seconds after screen................and that could be the Samsung drivers but its still so much slower then the Asrock
will

Having the same issue on an Intel SSD 600p series.. with and without the driver. I'm literally frustrated.