cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M8E with unsupported G.Skill

nightstrike
Level 7
Does anyone have any experience running two of the G.Skill F4-4000C19D-32GTZ 2x16GB kits for 64 gigs total at 4 GHz in an M8E? I want to try it, but I'm curious about the probability of success.
10 REPLIES 10

Menthol
Level 14
If you want to try, then by all means try, the probability of success is pretty slim, 2 kits mixed may not work well together, double sided sticks are harder on the IMC then single sided sticks
Good news is high speed memory modules work well at lower speeds

nightstrike
Level 7
Have you tried similar things before?

nightstrike
Level 7
Well, took a gamble, order placed 🙂

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
As above, best bet will be to tune that in manually. If you're willing to do that then you'll likely get some good results. However, that frequency will be tough.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

claudej
Level 7
Is there any use, nowadays, for more than 16GB Ram ?
I barely manage to fill 9-10GB of my 16GB, leaving everything open.
so 64GB ?

claudej wrote:
so 64GB ?

Depends entirely on your usage model and workload. You'd be surprised for instance just how quickly you'd run out of memory working with raw panoramic images.

claudej wrote:
so 64GB ?

Certainly. I want to use more of the Asus MemCache, for instance.

Status update:
I am trying first with just 2 sticks of 16 each in the A2/B2 gray slots as per the manual recommendation. They boot normally at DDR4 speeds. XMP doesn't work at all. I can manually set it to 3 GHz and boot. When I set it to 3400, it got completely stuck such that even the Safe Boot button won't bring it out of hiding.

nightstrike
Level 7
So I think I'm going to have to give up on this. Even with a full BIOS reset and my original memory, I can't get the onboard video to work anymore, so something went wrong. I never got consistent booting even at 3 GHz and 2 sticks, which should have been trivial to do. I'd happily hack on this further, but my window of opportunity is closing for a return, and I have to go on travel.

I'll probably wind up buying F4-3400C16Q-64GTZ, which is on the QVL. Maybe I can overclock that.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Shame, but you were forwarned. There will be a slight penalty to stability when overclocking high speed kits using the onboard video.