cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh windows 10 install on new M.2 SSD (GL552VW)

Jeroen90
Level 7
Hello,

recently I've bought a Samsung 850 M.2 SSD (250gb) to install my windows 10 on to (hopefully) improve laptop's performance.
Right now Windows runs from the default HDD and everything works fine (including the SSD which can be read from and written on).
For some reason I can not get windows 10 installed/booted from the new SSD. I've tried the following:
-Clone disk; does not work because of the difference in bytes/sector.
-Migrate OS; does not work because of the difference in bytes/sector.
-Fresh install from bootable USB; When starting windows after this installation I get the error 0xc000000e (winload.exe is missing). Looks like it's still looking for files on the other drive.
-Fresh install from bootable USB; The install finally seemed to be successful after I removed the HDD, boot the USB in legacy mode, 'shift f10' - 'diskpart' - 'convert selected disk to GPT (installation failed because drive wasn't in GPT)' - Switch MBR to the new SSD. After these steps windows seemed to install without errors however when it was done, The ssd was no longer recognised as a bootdevice (was still shown in storage tab in BIOS) and my laptop was stuck in the BIOS.

Right now I'm out of ideas and have to admit defeat.
I've resetted my laptop and its running fine again from the HDD but I still want to install windows 10 in this new SSD since that is it's main purpose.

thanks in advance

jeroen

[Machine: Asus ROG GL552VW-CN471T]
2 REPLIES 2

davemon50
Level 11
When you cloned, did you use Samsung Data Migration software? Personally I recommend, although it's not a guaranteed success. That has worked for me, although a different laptop.

Your last methodology above is what I would've done, i.e. remove or render inactive the HDD, insert the M.2, insert the bootable USB......note this must be UEFI......and install. For your reference, see THIS THREAD to verify you are following the exact procedure as layed out here.
Davemon50

FastM
Level 8
Alright let’s start over.

First let’s make sure the Win10 Usb was made properly.

1st download the microsoft windows creation tool and choose the .iso download option
2nd download rufus, with your USB drive in run rufus and click the little cd button to open the downloaded windows iso. Also make sure it’s set to GPT for UEFI at the top. also the file system should default to Fat32.
3rd, in the laptop make sure any CSM/Legacy is DISABLED. Windows 10 should be installed in a true Safe Boot Enabled UEFI environment.
4. boot the win10 usb, when you get to the second screen choose advanced settings > tools and get to a CMD command prompt.
5 . type Diskpart
6. list disk (to see which is the ssd, should be disk 0.
7 select disk 0
8 clean

now the ssd has been completely wiped (boot record and all) and ready for win10.

reboot the system, boot again from the usb and proceed with the win10 install.

I did this all from memory so i hope my steps make sense..*

edit, you have the eSupport folder saved somewhere? it’s best to run that auto-install first and let it do its thing*