Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermal Woes

Bmacc
Level 7
Hi guys,

I've got a i9 7940x with an R6A, 'cooled' by a Thermaltake Floe Riing 360mm

I put cooled in quotes because I'm having thermal issues (surprise surprise).

The CPU is delidded, and under stock speeds I am getting temps in the low 30's when idle, going up to the mid 70s in the taxing benchmarks (cinebench, realbench, XTU). Real world use sits pretty cool between 50-60C

The thermal issues show when I try overclocking, even by a small amount. The CPU can do 4.4GHz @ 1.12V and 4.5GHz @ 1.19V (only adjusting Vcore and AVX offsets, no other voltages) - I can complete benchmarks, intel processor diagnostics etc with these clocks but the temperature starts climbing and climbing - after about 10min of XTU it's getting into the 90s and I end up stopping it (this overheating happens even at 1.12V)

Clearly the cooler is struggling but from my limited reading it should be OK with these volts so I have two questions:

1) Are there any other BIOS voltages or settings that i should be adjusting apart from Vcore in order to reduce temps?

2) Will a custom loop really give me much better results than a 360mm AIO? I don't have any requirement to cool the graphics card, these are CPU workloads only.
17 REPLIES 17

jyavenard
Level 7
Bmacc wrote:
Hi guys,

I've got a i9 7940x with an R6A, 'cooled' by a Thermaltake Floe Riing 360mm

I put cooled in quotes because I'm having thermal issues (surprise surprise).

The CPU is delidded, and under stock speeds I am getting temps in the low 30's when idle, going up to the mid 70s in the taxing benchmarks (cinebench, realbench, XTU). Real world use sits pretty cool between 50-60C

The thermal issues show when I try overclocking, even by a small amount. The CPU can do 4.4GHz @ 1.12V and 4.5GHz @ 1.19V (only adjusting Vcore and AVX offsets, no other voltages) - I can complete benchmarks, intel processor diagnostics etc with these clocks but the temperature starts climbing and climbing - after about 10min of XTU it's getting into the 90s and I end up stopping it (this overheating happens even at 1.12V)

Clearly the cooler is struggling but from my limited reading it should be OK with these volts so I have two questions:

1) Are there any other BIOS voltages or settings that i should be adjusting apart from Vcore in order to reduce temps?

2) Will a custom loop really give me much better results than a 360mm AIO? I don't have any requirement to cool the graphics card, these are CPU workloads only.
I have a i9-7980xe with a 280mm Corsair h115i and under stock speed I never see temps going over 65C.
Are you sure you've applied the thermal paste properly?

I would have assumed a delidded 7940 to do much better than what you're getting.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

definitely - pre delid it would sit at 40C idle and 80-90C when benched (at stock).

Bmacc wrote:
definitely - pre delid it would sit at 40C idle and 80-90C when benched (at stock).
40C idle??
What's your room temperature?
Mine idle at 27C in a 22C room.

Something isn't right there...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

it's not much warmer. i suspect something is awry too - this is at stock speeds after 5mins of XTU:

as you can see on the graph the initial thermal peaks start in the high 50s but then trend up to the low 70s where they stay (even if i let this run for an hour)

at higher clocks/voltages the graph is similar but steeper, temps also start low but they never stop trending up - for example at 1.19v I have to stop the test after 5 min because it's getting to 90C+ peaks

xarot
Level 11
I think you are overestimating that cooler. Delidding will not help if the power usage of the chip exceeds the cooling capacity of the cooler when overclocking. 🙂

I have the 7900X delidded in my second PC. I've run it with the Thermaltake Water Ultimate 360mm and now with custom loop using slim 360mm radiator and D5 pump. The result is roughly the same: when going past 4300 MHz, the radiator heat output is significant when running Prime95, so I would definitely need just more rad space. But I am running that rig in a small case so I am not going very high on the OC side.

Think about it...when you set the cores to 1 multiplier higher, you are actually effectively adding 1400 MHz frequency into the overclock (x14).
Main: i9-10980XE - Rampage VI Extreme Encore - 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 CL16 - Strix RTX 3090 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Corsair AX1500i - Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB + Intel 600P 1TB - Water cooling
HTPC: i7-6950X - X99-M WS - 32 GB G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2400 - GTX1050TI - Bitfenix Pandora - Corsair AX860 - Intel 750 400 GB + Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO
All around: i9-7980XE - Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB G.Skill 4000 CL18-19-19-39 - Strix RTX3090 - Phanteks P500A - Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB - Water cooling

mm that's another possibility. the fans are in pull mode and there doesn't seem to be much air coming out of them. even if I put my hand right under the Rad I can't feel any airflow, but maybe this is normal with this AIO. there isn't too much info about it out there apart from a few glowing reviews.

how can i test where the issue is? i dont want to throw money at a loop if there is a greater issue at play here (like airflow issues in the case). also I'd probably look to reuse the existing fans on a custom loop but if the fans are crap then is there any point doing this

Hi there,I did have the same struggles with my 7900x,until I put very generous amount of liquid metal on cpu die(ofc,be careful not to spill over) and also this is very important ,I have placed liquid metal between IHS and monoblock(I got advice for this from someone here on this forum),and my idle temp droped from 35 to 21C and intel stress test on 4,4Ghz/1,20V temps are around 35-40C, before they were around 85C.You will see massive improvment with custom loop.I have 1x420mm,and 2x360mm radiators,GPU block and CPU/VRM monoblok with one D5 pump.I have used thermal Grizzly liquid metal which never cures or dries up.

Marko911 wrote:
Hi there,I did have the same struggles with my 7900x,until I put very generous amount of liquid metal on cpu die(ofc,be careful not to spill over) and also this is very important ,I have placed liquid metal between IHS and monoblock(I got advice for this from someone here on this forum),and my idle temp droped from 35 to 21C and intel stress test on 4,4Ghz/1,20V temps are around 35-40C, before they were around 85C.You will see massive improvment with custom loop.I have 1x420mm,and 2x360mm radiators,GPU block and CPU/VRM monoblok with one D5 pump.I have used thermal Grizzly liquid metal which never cures or dries up.

If you use liquid metal*between IHS and monoblock, how would you remove the cooler later? I thought that would be difficult at best.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Hopper64 wrote:
If you use liquid metal*between IHS and monoblock, how would you remove the cooler later? I thought that would be difficult at best.

as I said before,Thermal Grizzly liquid metal do not cure or dries up.(I successfully removed monoblock to test for contact between surfaces and also I had no problem removing Supermacy EVO from i7 IHS 7700k that had the same liquid metal between them after 6 months)