cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Fractal Design Gunmetal R6 i7-8700K Poseidon build.

Pimpskillet
Level 7
Well hello there! New to this forum, and new to this water cooling thing, but being as I am an electrician and have ran many miles worth of pipe in my days, and someone who has been building my own computers going back to the 90's, I figured I'd have a go at a custom loop. I spent a lot of time reading, and watching hours and hours of videos, downloading spec sheets on sizes of different parts, mounts, radiators, fittings, pumps and all that crap. I finally got something put together in my head and this is what I came up with.

There was some interference from who knows what, so beware of the random pops in the beginning of the video.

I'll save you all the boring stuff and just get down to what's inside.

i7-8700K
Poseidon 1080 Ti
G.Skill 64G 3000 c14 quad channel...(realized I could have gotten faster 2 channel because this MB doesn't support quad). 😞
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
Phantex CPU block
Alpha Cool 360 (top)+ 280 (front) 30mm x-flow rads
3 PWM 120 mm, 2 PWM 140mm Fractal Venturi series HP fans
3 140mm Fractal Venturi HF fans
EK RGB D5 Vario pump w/ acetal top
EK X3 250 RGB res
EVGA 850 T2 Titanium P.S.
XSPC 14mm / 10mm Black chrome fittings
XSPC 14mm tubing

I de-lided my 8700...

I added a T so I could run a drain line to a bulkhead fitting easily accessible when you remove the rear cover on the case,.

So I figured I could play around a little. And without touching the voltage's, I can get 2100 out of my Poseidon, and 5.2 out of my 8700k. Granted I'm still a noob at this over clocking thing, but I'm pretty happy so far. Prime 95 had my processor's highest core at a high temp of 84, so I dialed it back to 5100 with a 300 offset for the AVX instructions.... that being said I got a 10,357 3dMark score in Timespy, and I'm assuming it's not horrible?

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/3583677

I'd like to fine tune my CPU and graphics card, but I feel like I need to spend a little time with the ram first.

All in all I'm pretty stoked.

Thoughts?
3 REPLIES 3

MarshallR
Level 10
Nice WC setup. Needs another pic showing it all with the lights on

Sorry about that.. 🙂

Here are a few more pics for ya..

First the case itself...

The one thing I liked most about the R6 was its ability to breathe!

Here is the "cable management" if you want to call it that.. 🙂

At the bottom you can see where I drilled a hole for my drain.

The R6 comes with a spot for a fill port, so I used that and piped it to the top of my reservoir...

Here is the view of my reservoir / pump / drain setup.

You can't tell in this shot, but I had to actually use a dremel and remove a little plastic there where the VRM water block is. The XSPC 14mm fittings were too fat and were hitting that angled piece of plastic there and not allowing the fitting to fit flush, so I did a little custom work with a mini cut off wheel.

All in all I'm pretty happy. I managed to get a few steps above 2100 on the Poseidon, and 5.2G on my 8700 with this setup, and that's with some pretty mild settings too. I figure it would go higher with a bit of a bump in voltage, but I haven't had the time to really try and sit down with it and figure it all out.

One thing tho, I used EC6 clear coolant, and it almost seems like it want's to make my res a little cloudy. I used distilled water for a week just to make sure nothing was leaking and that sort of thing, and now that I have the coolant in there it seems like there is what look like water spots in the res. I'll let it go another few days and see if it clears up, but if not I'll post some pics and see what you all think. I'd like to stay away from the colored coolants at this point, and just stick with something clear.

My next question is do I want the 34" 3440x1440, or a decent 4k monitor... decisions, decisions...