cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus hero x does not recognise m.2 ssd

PetrolMan
Level 7
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get the Asus Maximus hero X to recognize an m.2 ssd in the bottom m.2 slot.

It recognizes both my m.2 drives on the top m.2 slot, the one closest to the cpu, but when I place it on the bottom nothing happens.

I updated the bios, reset cmos and nothing seems to work.

My drives are 2 samsungs 960 pro of 1TB.

I am not looking for a raid configuration. I just want one drive for so and another for file storage.

thanks
12 REPLIES 12

will_s
Level 7
Have you tried just having the one in the bottom slot and nothing in the top ? I have the same M.2 but have it in the bottom and it works. I assume you dont have more then one GPU because you only have so many lanes available .

I just changed my M.2 to a GPT type partition ( was MBR before ) and in the BIOS under BOOT......have CSM enabled and UEIFI selected only as boot device. Maybe just put the drive in the bottom ( and leave out the top ) and try to install Win10 ...hopefully if that is the only drive it will see it
will

will_s wrote:
Have you tried just having the one in the bottom slot and nothing in the top ? I have the same M.2 but have it in the bottom and it works. I assume you dont have more then one GPU because you only have so many lanes available .

I just changed my M.2 to a GPT type partition ( was MBR before ) and in the BIOS under BOOT......have CSM enabled and UEIFI selected only as boot device. Maybe just put the drive in the bottom ( and leave out the top ) and try to install Win10 ...hopefully if that is the only drive it will see it

Thanks for the reply, buit it still does not work.

Regardless if there is any drive on the top m.2 slot, the bios still does not recognize it.

asus support told me to disable cms, but this still does not help.......

PetrolMan wrote:
Thanks for the reply, buit it still does not work.

Regardless if there is any drive on the top m.2 slot, the bios still does not recognize it.

asus support told me to disable cms, but this still does not help.......

I would go the RMA

Your M'2's work so its not them

I guess my next step would be to reset my BIOS to default and change nothing and just try only the M.2 drive in the bottom. Now have the same board and same M.2 drive and when I reset my BIOS to default it worked. It actually worked out of the box in the bottom as I didnt want the heat from the GPU (1080ti) effecting it ( also have fan in bottom of case as well as front bottom so its getting nice air flow ).

But like I said I would tell Asus that if they work in the one slot and not the other at default then something is wrong with the motherboard. Also check your PSU and the leads are firmly attached to the motherboard ( and the PSU ends as well ) . Yes, thats clutching straws so tell Asus you want another motherboard and the next one up as I am not that impressed with the hero.

edit: and another straw would be to remove your GPU and instead use the CPU for Graphics. That way their will be nothing to block up the lanes. Do all that and Asus would have to do a RMA
will

will_s wrote:
I would go the RMA

Your M'2's work so its not them

I guess my next step would be to reset my BIOS to default and change nothing and just try only the M.2 drive in the bottom. Now have the same board and same M.2 drive and when I reset my BIOS to default it worked. It actually worked out of the box in the bottom as I didnt want the heat from the GPU (1080ti) effecting it ( also have fan in bottom of case as well as front bottom so its getting nice air flow ).

But like I said I would tell Asus that if they work in the one slot and not the other at default then something is wrong with the motherboard. Also check your PSU and the leads are firmly attached to the motherboard ( and the PSU ends as well ) . Yes, thats clutching straws so tell Asus you want another motherboard and the next one up as I am not that impressed with the hero.

edit: and another straw would be to remove your GPU and instead use the CPU for Graphics. That way their will be nothing to block up the lanes. Do all that and Asus would have to do a RMA

I tried all of this but no luck.

the problem is that after clearing cmos, I get that first message saying that there is a m.2 drive inserted in the bottom slot and if I want to increase the speed to x4 for better performance.

After this, there it is no longer recognizable by the bios.....

Menthol
Level 14
It should be recognized without any input from you besides installation, in bios check to make sure M.2 drives are set to pcie reboot and check if recognized
Please list all your hardware and USB devices. including SATA drives if any

Menthol wrote:
It should be recognized without any input from you besides installation, in bios check to make sure M.2 drives are set to pcie reboot and check if recognized
Please list all your hardware and USB devices. including SATA drives if any

I have an asus maximus hero x. how do do I set the m.2 drives to pcie reboot?

I have a vega 64 lQ, an 8700k, 32gb of ram at 3466mhz,

Menthol
Level 14
PetrolMan,
One slot is PCIE/SATA, the other is only PCIE, the motherboard manual will show you which is which and any settings in the bios

Menthol wrote:
PetrolMan,
One slot is PCIE/SATA, the other is only PCIE, the motherboard manual will show you which is which and any settings in the bios

I can only choose sata or pcie on the top slot. the bottom slot is pcie only.

So, what troubles me the most is that, after I have cleared cmos, and insert the m.2 drive on the bottom slot, I get a bios message sayng that there is a drive on the bottom slot and that I may wish to increase the pcie speed from x2 to x4 for better performance.

The problem is that, after that, there is no more recogniton of the drive by the bios, even after I have removed all pcie devices and set the cms in the bios to disabled.

I really need the pc for work and dont want to go throught the trouble of having to disassemble it and waiting for the rma and and putting everyting back together again....