cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VROC with 2 x 900p HELP! I see the drives but I can't partition them CHARLIE/JUSTIN

Brighttail
Level 11
So I got my second Intel 900p. I created the RAID 0 drive with no problems through BIOS. When I go to install Windows 10 Pro, I load up the F6 drivers (I have to do it twice) and I see my new RAID 0 drive. Awesome, but when I try to create the windows partitions it won't let me. Either I click apply and nothing happens or I will click apply and I get a partition error. Just to be sure, I went into the command prompt and tried to manually make a partition and it tells me it cannot be done. I have done this both with my VROC key not installed and installed.

I have done the following:

1. Tried this under BIOS 802 and the most current 1301
2. Set Sata to AHCI ... I also tried INTEL RAID
3. I set the PCI-e slots both to x4 VROC and then reboot
4. I then created the RAID 0 drive. I tried via Advanced and the F11. Both worked
5. I go into Windows installer and go through the setup windows. I get to where I would see my drive and hit F6
6. I have tried both the iaVROC and the iaStorE drivers in my efforts both will show me my new drive, but neither will allow me to create windows partitions.
7. I have also installed windows on another drive, and used the RSTe to create the drive. I went back into the windows setup and could see it but once again I could not create any partitions.

At this point the ONLY thing I can think of is that I'm using windows 1709 instead of 1703. Can that really be the answer or am I missing something somewhere. HELP Justin and Charlie!! 🙂 I saw that Charlie got it going with 1709 so that shouldn't be the issue.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop
5 REPLIES 5

Brighttail
Level 11
So by loading windows on a 960pro, loading RSTe and cloning windows to the VROC RAID does work and windows does boot. Unfortunately I still can't reinstall windows on the VROC RAID array. Even with the partitions already set on the VROC drive, windows setup won't show them for some reason. I'm not sure how Justin got away with it so easily. 🙂

Furthermore, if i decide to backup my VROC drive I can do so but if I ever need to recover it, I would have to load it onto the 960 first and then in windows transfer that to the VROC drive as Macrium doesn't see the VROC drive at all. 😞

Turning out to be more work than what it is worth. 😕
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

Brighttail wrote:
So by loading windows on a 960pro, loading RSTe and cloning windows to the VROC RAID does work and windows does boot. Unfortunately I still can't reinstall windows on the VROC RAID array. Even with the partitions already set on the VROC drive, windows setup won't show them for some reason. I'm not sure how Justin got away with it so easily. 🙂

Furthermore, if i decide to backup my VROC drive I can do so but if I ever need to recover it, I would have to load it onto the 960 first and then in windows transfer that to the VROC drive as Macrium doesn't see the VROC drive at all. 😞

Turning out to be more work than what it is worth. 😕

Check your IRSTe when u have windows installed on a different drive, I have to wonder if it is spanning controllers, that is you have two different controllers one for each drive. When I did this I had a single Hyper x16 card with 4 drives and it worked fine but the drives were all on the same card and it used a single controller for the one Hyper x16 card.

Couple of other comments. I don't think you should boot your OS from spanned controllers if that is the case. You would be better of buying a Hyper x16 card even if you only use 2 drives. If you don't want to do that then running your OS from a single 960 Pro and using the 2 Intel 900ps RAID 0 spanned as a data drive is fine too. I ended up running my 2x Hyper x16 cards spanned RAID 0 as a data drive and I am very happy. Of course I boot off a 960 Pro.

CharlieH wrote:
Check your IRSTe when u have windows installed on a different drive, I have to wonder if it is spanning controllers, that is you have two different controllers one for each drive. When I did this I had a single Hyper x16 card with 4 drives and it worked fine but the drives were all on the same card and it used a single controller for the one Hyper x16 card.

I will check that and yeah spanning isn't supposed to work but you can get it to work. Justin some how got everything loaded up fine, just gotta fight with it.

In the end I want to see this work. This is what I paid for ! 🙂 🙂 🙂

I do believe that I'll probably end up splitting up the hard drives and having one as my OS and other as app, that way I have the same 4k speed for both.

Brighttail
Level 11
So I finally got it working. I think the key for me was installing Windows on the 960 first, then cloning the windows installation two the 900p drive. It all booted up fine. After I did that I went back and tried to install windows directly to the 900p drive and this time I was able to create the partitions and it installed just fine. I ended up using the ACHI drivers as the VROC ones still are wonky. Probably due to spanning. But I'm booting off a RAID 0 array using 900p and after like 6+ months what I was expecting when I bought this motherboard finally came to be. My numbers are like Justin's.

I can make an image for a backup, but I won't be able to load it directly. I'll have to move that image to another NVME drive, then load into windows using the NVME drive and copy it to the 900p drive within windows. Then delete the image from the NVMe drive I originally used and then my restore will be successful.

Thanks Charlie for the help.