cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notebook not powering / power supply problem? Asus G72GX

Marxzinhu
Level 7
Hello everyone. I have an Asus G72GX and sometimes Ieave it on during the night for downloads and updates. Recently I woke up and found the notebook powered off. I tried powering it on but no good. I noticed that the led on the ac adapter was off so I checked the outlet connection and even tested other equipments and they worked fine.
After some testing, I discovered that if I connect the power supply to the outlet the led turns on, witch means there is power or its working (supposedly). The moment I connect the adapter to the notebook the led goes off and I cant turn the laptop on.
Any ideas what might be the problem? Could it be a some short circuit in the adapter or the problem might be on the notebook?
Thanks for the insights!
1 REPLY 1

grungeboy
Level 7
could be a number of different issues. you could be looking at a bad power brick, putting a draw on it is shorting it somehow, causing it to kick off. it could be a bad charging circuit on the board, i had a similar issue out of my G51, had to replace the board. my advice would be to get the power brick tested at a electronics repair shop. that'll tell you if the problem is the brick or something internal with the computer. then you can decide if it's worth it to replace the board.

it's not super hard to do, but it's not the easiest thing in the world either. you need to be comfortable disassembling the laptop almost completely. when i did mine, the replacement board was about $100.

i recently had a intermittent issue, the problem turned out to be a grounding screw that had worked it's way loose, and a ram chip that had a bad trace on it. tightening down the screw somewhat fixed the issue and replacing the ram stick completely fixed it. what i'm getting at is it can be hard to diagnose a issue like yours without really digging into the matter.