cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix 1080ti central fan turns slower or crooked?

theotorm
Level 9
Hello everyone, I have this problem ... I do not know if it 's my idea ... but yesterday I put a flashlight on the central fan of my strix 1080ti I am quick to say that or turn slower or' crooked .... this with a speed of 44% ... if I put the fans at maximum have no problem .... the card is new and I have never touched anything.
Looking at the center of the fan it is normal that it seems slower because the logo is different from the other two ... I mean the edge of the fan.
It seems to work because temperatures are good (58 ° in benchmark)
I am attaching a video can you help me? Is it really wrong according to you?
Francesco

10 REPLIES 10

Lightbringer
Level 7
theotorm wrote:
Hello everyone, I have this problem ... I do not know if it 's my idea ... but yesterday I put a flashlight on the central fan of my strix 1080ti I am quick to say that or turn slower or' crooked .... this with a speed of 44% ... if I put the fans at maximum have no problem .... the card is new and I have never touched anything.
Looking at the center of the fan it is normal that it seems slower because the logo is different from the other two ... I mean the edge of the fan.
It seems to work because temperatures are good (58 ° in benchmark)
I am attaching a video can you help me? Is it really wrong according to you?
Francesco

Hi Francesco,

not all three fans spin at the same speed all the time. Your Cards Bios has it's own build in algorithm that makes the fans spin. Where the card needs more cooling, the fan wil spin faster. It controls all three fans seperately. BUT it can only monitor the first Fan and the information in monitoring software wil only be the RPM of the first fan. This will also normally be the first fan to spin up under load AND the one spinning the fastest.

Any techies out there correct me if i'm wrong of course 🙂

Lightbringer wrote:
Hi Francesco,

not all three fans spin at the same speed all the time. Your Cards Bios has it's own build in algorithm that makes the fans spin. Where the card needs more cooling, the fan wil spin faster. It controls all three fans seperately. BUT it can only monitor the first Fan and the information in monitoring software wil only be the RPM of the first fan. This will also normally be the first fan to spin up under load AND the one spinning the fastest.

Any techies out there correct me if i'm wrong of course 🙂

the problem is that if you look at the fan at the point I indicate in the picture ... and compare it with the other fan ... this seems to tremble ....

theotorm wrote:
the problem is that if you look at the fan at the point I indicate in the picture ... and compare it with the other fan ... this seems to tremble ....

i see what you mean.

If it was really crooked to the point where it would damage somethinjg, you would hear operating noises coming from the Fan.
I wouldn't worry about it actually.

haihane
Level 13
Disclaimer!
potentially unsafe advice; i deny any and all potential harm to one's own finger(s) and/or Graphic card!

i'd use my finger and touch the mid portion (not the blades, the spinning center portion) to gauge a feel how fast or slow it's spinning.
it should be safe enough to do it for a brief moment. the fans won't break that easily.

do it at your own risk.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Menthol
Level 14
Sounds like your card/fans are working as designed, the "crooked" or out of balance look is probably either a sticker on the center of the fan that is not centered or an optical allusion created from the light, if it was crooked or out of balance you would know from vibration and noise

Menthol wrote:
Sounds like your card/fans are working as designed, the "crooked" or out of balance look is probably either a sticker on the center of the fan that is not centered or an optical allusion created from the light, if it was crooked or out of balance you would know from vibration and noise

As for the sticker I had already understood that creates an optical illusion ... I say to look at the fan just as you turn ... look at the video in the points that I show you in the picture below ....

Try looking at that point as it turns in relation to the other

thank you very much for the help

haihane
Level 13
you should just use your finger and touch and see if it's actually crooked.

nature gave you a damn fine sensory tool (hand, finger), just be careful when using it to measure it.
then you'll know for sure if it wobbles, no?

side rant: i've fixed gpus that sound like a broken helicopter with some precision screwdrivers, a little bending, and a bottle of lube.
heck, even WD40 works.
^ don't do the above if your card is still under warranty. just saying it here because it's possible, only taking a little bit of ingenuity and guts.

haihane wrote:
you should just use your finger and touch and see if it's actually crooked.

nature gave you a damn fine sensory tool (hand, finger), just be careful when using it to measure it.
then you'll know for sure if it wobbles, no?

side rant: i've fixed gpus that sound like a broken helicopter with some precision screwdrivers, a little bending, and a bottle of lube.
heck, even WD40 works.
^ don't do the above if your card is still under warranty. just saying it here because it's possible, only taking a little bit of ingenuity and guts.

i feel a warranty void incoming..fast.. 😉

haihane
Level 13
it's awllright.

(psst, it's a gigabyte R9 290X windforce version, not le asus) ^_^
also, that card's warranty is long gone anyway.

tell ya a secret:
because of that, right? the inherent design superiority of ASUS' Direct CU design really showed itself.
one was: flimsy fan module held in place by three flimsy plastics,
the other: freaking chunk of heatsink metal, and big ass fans. ASUS' directCU gpu is still working after 4 years.

the competitor's card sounded like a broken helicopter, until i took matter to my own hands and tamed it down.