cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the slow mode toggle even do anything?

Zarathustraa
Level 7
Just noticed I forgot to turn the toggle off after melting some phase change TIM to the cpu. Didn't really notice the computer behaving unusually slow or anything like that. If anything it has been feeling fairly fast. Temps are still the same after switching it back too. Does it need the ln2 jumper on to work?
2 REPLIES 2

UltraNEO_
Level 11
From my understanding, having it ON limits the CPU's maximum multiplier causing the processor to run slower than it should, in normal operations.

Other than this, it doesn't do much of anything else.
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

jab383
Level 13
Yes, the LN2 mode jumper has to be enabled for the slow mode switch to do anything.

When LN2 mode is enabled, turning on that switch throttles the CPU to run at a minimum speed - 800 to 1200 MHz - all the time.