cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC88U DHCP issue

BloodyEGO
Level 7
hello guys,

i just sent back my GT5300 rapture since i thought to myself it was an expensive monster and bought the second best considered router - ac88u.

in a nutshell, my network looks like this:

ONT from ISP bridged to my AC88U WAN port (so the authentication is done via PPPoE directly in the router, not on ONT).
My ROG laptop is wired through my walls directly into LAN1 of the router.
The second port is occupied by a gigabit switch where i put my ps4 and other devices. The rest of devices are connected to 5Ghz wifi.

Here comes the problem:
I am running a PLEX server on the laptop (which is obviously in another room as opposed to the location of the router) and as stated above, it is wired.
The assigned IP to laptop's MAC is .178; however, when i unplug the eth cable and turn on the wireless connection, it gets .41 as IP.
In DHCP i configured the laptop's wifi mac to e bound with .41 IP
But i would also like the router to assign the same IP (.41 insted of .178) to the wired connection, since anyway the wireless is turned off on the router. i cannot assign 2 MACs to 1 IP in router, because i believe it tries to avoid network conflicts. However, i am not trying to run them both simultaneously, the WIFI and wired connection. i just want the DHCP server from within my router to assign to my laptop the same IPwhenever i use it wired or wireless.
So i tried to overcome this by setting my IPv4 adapter in Windows to static and set the exact IP as it would have been given if the wifi was on, the .41; but guess what. it couldnt connect to Internet.
so i am pretty sure the DHCP s working fine on router, but i was wondering if i am missing something... could you guys help please?

BONUS: this little ****tard (the ac88u) looks like somehow it limits my DL speed, compared to the monster GT5300 Rapture... on this guy i get max 700Mbps , while on the previous one i got around 950Mbps. Is it due to broken QoS or somewhat? im no expert on this one either...
0 REPLIES 0