cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanent VRM throttling. 6850K on Rampage 5 Extreme

bad2hold
Level 7
Hello Guys!
Well, Iam gonna need your help for this one.
Spent dozens of hours researching but i didnt make any progress at all.
My Problem:

My Rampage 5 Extreme is Running on Optimized defaults without any Overclocking right now.
Therefore, the VRM shouldnt get too hot right?
Well, on first startup, My VRM temperatures are around 100°C after sth. like 5 minutes. (Idle)
At this point my CPU speed will be throttled to 1.1GHZ.
After Stressing the CPU with mild Load with a Game or sth like this, VRM temps will breach the tip point of 115°C and my System Will Crash.
And here comes the weird one:
After Crashing and rebooting, my system is Running perfectly Well, even after hours of Stressing with VRM temps around 50°C to 70°C.
I dont Understand that one...
DIGI+ Power Control Changes in Uefi Bios dont change anything.
The Problem is persistent even after Upgrading the CPU from 5820K to 6850K.

My System:

Motherboard Model: ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME
Processor Name: Intel Core i7-6850K
RAM: 8x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum= 32GB
Video Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Drives: C: Samsung SSD 950 Pro 512Gb (M.2 Slot)
+ 2 SSDs and 5HDDs (Around 8TBs in 8 Hrad Drives
CPU Cooling: Corsair H110iGT Water Cooling
Power: Corsair HX1000i 1000W Platinum
Tower: Cooler Master Cosmos 2

Thanks in Advance..
Marcus
8 REPLIES 8

Korth
Level 14
Do you have enough airflow in your chassis to take heat off the VRM heatsink, or is it blocked?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Do you have enough airflow in your chassis to take heat off the VRM heatsink, or is it blocked?

Even when i put fans in place to take off even more heat, it just takes a bit longer before restarting.
And why is it running perfectly after restart?
This is my VRM Temperature Curve before restarting.
It will keep rising to 115 °C before it will restart my system

And these are my VRM temps AFTER the the 115°C made the VRM restart my system.

It only works when temperature limit was breached. Not when i manually restart my system.
Weird right??

Korth
Level 14
Could be bad firmcode. Which BIOS are you running? And have you tried Clear CMOS back to ASUS defaults?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Could be bad firmcode. Which BIOS are you running? And have you tried Clear CMOS back to ASUS defaults?

Didnt even think abput resetting the CMOS. Iam running the latest BIOS 3801
However, resetting CMOS didnt change anything but it extendet the time before restarting to about 30minutes.
VRM Temperature (CPU idle) after Clearinfg CMOS is 62°C
When i Activate Active Frequency mode in Asus AI Suite 3, VRM temperature is climbing very fast.
Can you recommend some UEFI Settings? What do you mean with "bad firmcode"?

By "bad firmcode" I mean either a bug (design flaw, which may not have been apparent to ASUS until some special configuration/condition on your hardware triggered it) or corrupted data (a bad NVRAM flash session or whatever). The opposite of "good firmcode" which does what it's expected/supposed to do, properly, without any faults.

Maybe your VRM has bad contact with its heatsink? The TIM wasn't properly applied or has somehow leaked/cooked out?

The problem could be upstream. The PSU. Or even the AC power source. "Dirty" electrical power - lots of EMI noise/ripple, undervolts/overvolts approaching rated extremes, etc - passed onto your mainboard will place extra strain and stress on the VRMs, they'll have to work harder (and get hotter) to regulate power across the motherboard. Do you have any way of testing your AC power source and/or testing your PSU?

I don't have this mobo so I can't recommend any settings. But ASUS factory stock/default settings should work perfectly without causing any issues (other than perhaps being dull and not achieving maximal overclocking performance, lol). If not - and if your PSU is good - then you might have some sort of defective/damaged motherboard or processor component.

I note that the R5E is circa 2014-2015 ... if your mobo (and CPU) is already beyond 3-year warranty then don't be terribly surprised by hardware failure. Especially if you've sustained aggressive overclocks over the years.

[/Korth]

bad2hold
Level 7
Thought about these Options as well. But all of them wont explain why my System is running perfectly after Hot VRM crash/restart.
When i restart manually in that state, Temperatures will rise until Hot VRM Crash/restart once again.
So basically, my system is running perfcetly after every Hot VRM crash/restart. (Temperature Limit =115°C)
And this is what causes my Headache too. What is Changing when the hot VRM is restarting my system? It doesnt make any sense...

bad2hold
Level 7
Thought about these Options as well. But all of them wont explain why my System is running perfectly after Hot VRM crash/restart.
When i restart manually in that state, Temperatures will rise until Hot VRM Crash/restart once again.
So basically, my system is running perfcetly after every Hot VRM crash/restart. (Temperature Limit =115°C)
And this is what causes my Headache too. What is Changing when the hot VRM is restarting my system? It doesnt make any sense...

Korth
Level 14
All it takes is just one aged electrolytic cap or reference diode to throw the whole VRM out of spec. Power ON from cold-boot briefly imposes more inrush current on the regulators (and more demand on the PSU) than from warm-boot - and this parameter is usually one of the first things to degrade below rated spec (first symptoms of eventual failure) on these sorts of parts. While reboots avoid inrush current but instead load stress onto parts which may already be de-rated by thermal/electrical drift during sustained high duty-cycle operation.

Short nontechnical explanation - intermittent or quirky VRM failures are common on old motherboards. Usually possible to repair, though the costs of hardware component diagnosis/repair are typically more than a full motherboard replacement.

If you're unable to troubleshoot the circuitry and do SMT solder rework then I think your best bet is to rule out other possible/likely causes of the faults: firmware, BIOS settings, PSU, electrical power source, heatsink.

[/Korth]