Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Divinedark

Strange new build issue

Hello all. I really hope you guys can help me out, cause I'm stumped...

Long story short: I'm an experienced pc builder, but just now making the jump to the current generation of 1366 systems. The system is as follows:

CPU: i7 950
    Ram: Corsair Dominator CL8
    Power Supply: XFX Black 850W
    GPU: EVGA GTX580
    Cooler: Thermaltake Frio setup Push/Pull

Problem: From a powered down state... If I hit the power button the machine comes to life, but the DRAM QLED lights solid red and the CPU QLED flashes red. Nothing comes up on the screen. If I hold the reset button (usually 2 seconds) till the CPU led stops blinking and release it the machine will boot fine.

Note: I did not plug the 4pin to the bottom right of the CPU socket in, as it says it's if you're running SLI. I'm running single card currently. I did plug it in to see if it made any difference, and it did not.

I just don't get it... I figured I set one of the vast number of features of this board up improperly.

P.S. - the first screen that shows after the "Hit DELETE" ROG screen is a marvell screen that says it's looking for bootable drives and can't find em. I can't get that to go away either.

Hope you all can help.

Cheers,
    TH

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array martin_metal_88's Avatar

AZsus board always said they can;t find a bootable device for some reason...If you have a working HDD with windows on it don't worry it will boot. Try todouble check all your power cable and the front input cable to make sure you didn't mix anything. Also make sure you didn't mess up USB and FireWire cable. That would be final for your board. Then try memory each stick at a time ( maybe do it out of the case so it's more easy ). Or you could try re-seat the CPU and the cooler. You can also clearCmos to see if it's not just a bios option that is messed up for the power on button.
    Keep us up to date.
    Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

Divinedark
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
    AZsus board always said they can;t find a bootable device for some reason...If you have a working HDD with windows on it don't worry it will boot. Try todouble check all your power cable and the front input cable to make sure you didn't mix anything. Also make sure you didn't mess up USB and FireWire cable. That would be final for your board. Then try memory each stick at a time ( maybe do it out of the case so it's more easy ). Or you could try re-seat the CPU and the cooler. You can also clearCmos to see if it's not just a bios option that is messed up for the power on button.
    Keep us up to date.
    One of the guys I spoke to about this said that he had a similar problem and it turned out to be his PSU. The primary capacitor wouldn't power up quickly enough to provide the proper charge to the board, thus causing it to fail initially and work after a reset. I didn't like the XFX power supply anyways, so I exchanged it for a Corsair HX850W. We'll see tonight how everything works out.

When you say "That would be final for your board" are you saying that it would fry the board? I only have one external fire wire port on my case and I plugged it into the red box at the bottom that the manual stated was for fire wire.

I did a cmos clear and it did not help. I will try the individual memory sticks tonight to see if I have any revelations, but all three sticks post at 1600mhz 8/8/8/25 @ 1.65w. and pass the memory test. The part I dread the most is the stupid processor reseat... It takes sooooo much time to manipulate that stupid cpu cooler.

Firewire use way more power than a USB. But the pin are the same, so if you plug a USB into a firewire ( on the board header ) This will simply push to much power into the USB which will kill it or the device at the other end. I also saw many of these situation ending with a burned board around the header.

Since you changed the PSU, swap it before trying the CPU reseat if it's an ass to do.

Give us some news about the new PSU
    Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

Divinedark
    Problems solved. It was the firewire port on the bottom of the motherboard. If I plug my case's front firewire port into it, it causes the whole problem.

The PSU didn't fix it, but it did knock out my annoying coil whine problem. Win/Win!

So when you unplug the Firewire port it's gone? Not a big issue if you didn't use it. Glad that the issue is fixed and that now you have a PSU that you love:P Hope you loved the forum!

Martin
    Martin_metal_88

Ask for more!

Divinedark
    Yeah. As soon as I pull the front panel firewire cable out of the header, everything boots up normally. Very strange.

What is your case? Most of the time I saw this issue the case was the problem. I am just curious to know if it's a Thermaltake ( saw it so many time with the armor series )
    Martin_metal_88

Ask for more!

Divinedark
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
    What is your case? Most of the time I saw this issue the case was the problem. I am just curious to know if it's a Thermaltake ( saw it so many time with the armor series )
    It's a Cooler Master HAF X. Haven't heard any issues before, but its not that big a deal. I have the firewire port on the back of the mobo, and own no firewire devices. Don't really need one on the front of the case. I just thought it was strange. There may be a short in the front panel on that plug... Anything's possible.

Divinedark
    Okay, after a little digging it turns out that this is a common issue with the HAFX case. They pressed the connector wires between the front panel PCB and the case roof, causing the soldered pins to pierce the wire sheath and causing a short. It has happened on the USB ports as well, but most commonly it's the Firewire port. I was actually really lucky. Most of the cases I've read of this happening lead to their board going up in a puff of smoke.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast