cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual voltage over-ride & LLC non-functional on Z370E - FIXED

Mercayy
Level 7
Hi all, having 2 serious issues with my Z370E motherboard. I am running an 8700K with the board.

First manual voltage over-ride appears to be completely non-functioning as whatever voltage I set, it always applies stock voltage. I have verified this by setting 1.35V into UEFI, attempting to boot into Windows with an x48 multiplier and failing, then dropping the multiplier to x37, rebooting and opening HWInfo to see Vcore reading at 1.04V. Disabling and enabling SVID does nothing, I have tried clearing CMOS and flashing different UEFI versions to no effect.

My second issue is that LLC appears to be also be non-functional. Setting the motherboard to 1.35V on adaptive mode with no offset and VRM & Processor Power Managements on default results in a 1.45V+ Vcore. I can alleviate this by setting IA AC & DC loadlines to 0.01, which brings the maximum voltage to ~1.35. However, during stresstests and heavy load, no matter what settings the LLC is at, VDroop is causing my voltage to sit at around ~1.3V. Again, flashing different UEFI's and clearing CMOS still has no effect.

Do I have a damaged motherboard or is there a solution to this?

*EDIT 9/5/18: UEFI v0616 has completely resolved all my issues. LLC, manual voltage over-ride and adaptive voltage settings all work as expected. 😄
72 REPLIES 72

bass_junkie_xl
Level 11
Mercayy wrote:
Hi all, having 2 serious issues with my Z370E motherboard. I am running an 8700K with the board.

First manual voltage over-ride appears to be completely non-functioning as whatever voltage I set, it always applies stock voltage. I have verified this by setting 1.35V into UEFI, attempting to boot into Windows with an x48 multiplier and failing, then dropping the multiplier to x37, rebooting and opening HWInfo to see Vcore reading at 1.04V. Disabling and enabling SVID does nothing, I have tried clearing CMOS and flashing different UEFI versions to no effect.

My second issue is that LLC appears to be also be non-functional. Setting the motherboard to 1.35V on adaptive mode with no offset and VRM & Processor Power Managements on default results in a 1.45V+ Vcore. I can alleviate this by setting IA AC & DC loadlines to 0.01, which brings the maximum voltage to ~1.35. However, during stresstests and heavy load, no matter what settings the LLC is at, VDroop is causing my voltage to sit at around ~1.3V. Again, flashing different UEFI's and clearing CMOS still has no effect.

Do I have a damaged motherboard or is there a solution to this?

your 2nd issue with the over volt with adaptive mode make sure you have "svid to on " and "svid behavoir to best case cinario" reboot that fixed my issue

the load line calibration bug is odd never had that issue i use level 6 hit enter then go to "apply changes and reboot " note " my baord tell me on a page what i changed in the bios before i it restarts it for me and hit apply .
Rig # 1 - 14900Ks SP-118 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,600 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | PG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 14900K-SP-120 | 89 MC @ 5.9 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

SVID Support and SVID Behaviour are already set to On and Best Behaviour respectively

As worst case scenario. Can you changing the date and see if it is reflecting on reboot.

As battery may have died . its very odd case just in case. Set the date in future and see if it is reflecting after you powered off the pc for 5-10 minutes by pulling the cable out

I exchanged my motherboard for a new one today and the results are still the same. I believe my CPU is faulty. I appreciate the suggestions though. 🙂

Mercayy
Level 7
I take that back, I have replaced the CPU and motherboard and my issue is still here. Is this a software issue on ASUS's side?

misha4ever
Level 7
I have the EXACT same experience with a z370 prime-a

LLC is completely non functional when adaptive is the mode set for Vcore. What is going on here... this board is many months old now????

Also: SVID off = black screen no boot, not even LED issue lights on the motherboard

and when SVID is on, manual voltage control is completely non functional also.

misha4ever wrote:
I have the EXACT same experience with a z370 prime-a

LLC is completely non functional when adaptive is the mode set for Vcore. What is going on here... this board is many months old now????

There was a change in how Intel handles some of the LLC related settings for this gen. As a result, when adaptive is used, you will get some deviation between the applied VID and what is requested under load. The LLC slope on some boards is also tuned for the capabilities of the circuit. Without the droop, the overshoot will be outside spec.

misha4ever wrote:

Also: SVID off = black screen no boot, not even LED issue lights on the motherboard.

If using adaptive voltage, SVID has to be enabled (or on Auto). If you disable SVID, the CPU won't be able to communicate with the external voltage regulator, which is needed to request the voltage for adaptive mode.

misha4ever wrote:

and when SVID is on, manual voltage control is completely non functional also.

IF SVID is enabled, the CPU can request the voltage so it may (depends on scenario, of course) override what you've set manually.

Mercayy
Level 7
My and I assume misha4ever's problem is that with even SVID off the manual voltage over-ride does not work. For me, setting whatever voltage still results in 0.992-1.040V fed to the CPU and I can confirm it in both UEFI as well as HWInfo, CPUZ etc. I have replaced both the motherboard as well as the CPU under the thought that maybe I received a dud but there has been no change in result.

"Without the droop, the overshoot will be outside spec." Also, this does not explain why LLC settings at 1 have the same result as if they were set to 7? Surely even with some limitations it would be possible to see different VDroop levels in respect to the LLC setting?

Mercayy wrote:
My and I assume misha4ever's problem is that with even SVID off the manual voltage over-ride does not work. For me, setting whatever voltage still results in 0.992-1.040V fed to the CPU and I can confirm it in both UEFI as well as HWInfo, CPUZ etc. I have replaced both the motherboard as well as the CPU under the thought that maybe I received a dud but there has been no change in result.

Might want to share the UEFI settings you're using.

All I did was set XMP or Manual, Sync all cores, 48X CPU ratio, manual Vcore of 1.30V. See attachment for the result. The settings were applied in UEFI, have just included TPU in the screenshot to show the Vcore mode.