cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I install Intel RST or RSTe?

soupiraille
Level 8
Hi.

First I would like to apologize if that question has already been asked; I did some research but I could not a specific answer.

I've just acquired a Rampage VI Apex, and I don't know which Intel AHCI driver to install: the RST or the RSTe (enterprise)? (of both??)
My main concerns are performance and stability; would any of them make a difference in this regard?

My system drive is an Optane 900D, and I have an additional 950 Pro SSD + a traditional HDD. I won't do any RAID.

Thank you very much for your help.
Rampage VI Apex
i9-7980XE
Windows 10 • 1709
10 REPLIES 10

stewart_1
Level 8
Hi. According Intel's guidance Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 have native support for NVMe PCIe SSDs. Check out the doc below for more info (sec 2.1.3 deals with driver installation).

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/enthusiast-ssds/PCIe-NV...

Thank you very much Stewart. That deals with my NVMe device.
But actually I was wondering for my AHCI devices, i.e. my SSD and my HDD.
*Thank you again.
Rampage VI Apex
i9-7980XE
Windows 10 • 1709

Menthol
Level 14
If not setting up a raid array neither of these drivers are needed

Menthol wrote:
If not setting up a raid array neither of these drivers are needed

I read several times that the Windows drivers do not perform as good as Intel's. Is this a wrong info?
Rampage VI Apex
i9-7980XE
Windows 10 • 1709

Menthol
Level 14
I would say any difference is so small it would be within tolerance and extremely difficult to prove, but you can test yourself to satisfy your curiosity,
I recommend testing yourself, why take someone else word when you can prove to yourself on your system

This is something I can definitely try and I'll make sure to report back if I do.*
But meanwhile I thought I could benefit from others' knowledge and experience instead of figuring out myself. This is especially confusing since Asus proposes both RST and RSTe downloads..
Thanks.*
Rampage VI Apex
i9-7980XE
Windows 10 • 1709

soupiraille wrote:
This is something I can definitely try and I'll make sure to report back if I do.*
But meanwhile I thought I could benefit from others' knowledge and experience instead of figuring out myself. This is especially confusing since Asus proposes both RST and RSTe downloads..
Thanks.*

I can tell you I use RST for a SATA raid 1 (2x HDDs). So, for SATA raids use RST.
My guess is RSTe is used for NVMe (VROC) raid, but I can't tell for sure since I do not have 2 NVME drives to try it.

skypine27
Level 7
I run 2 x SSDs in RAID0 for my Steam/Gaming drive. *Installing RST is required for Windows for this to work. *However, if I wasn't running that, I would not bother to install RST. *Its just one more thing to boot up (the little icon in the task bar takes a while to get the blue "check mark" symbol)

*CPU: Intel 10980XE @ 5.0 ghz (by Core usage) w/ EK monoblock
*Mobo: Asus Rampage VIE
*RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000 G.Skill TridentZ
*Graphics: Gigabite 3090 Waterforce
*Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW @ 120hz
*Storage OS: Samsung SM970 Pro (2TB) Windows 10
*Storage Games Internal: 4TB 850 EVO RAID0
*Storage Extermal: 48TB Raid0 (External USB 3.1 Box)
*Case/PSU: Thermaltake V71 TG/RGB + 3 Rads (120mm, 360mm, 420mm) + Corsair AX1200i PSU

birdman941
Level 7
RSTE is for VROC/Raid