Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my CPU working Normally ???

DuleTnT
Level 7
Hi everyone.
Yesterday i started using my new ROG strix GL702VI-WB74

The thing that bothers me is that on my previous ROG which has CPU i7-4700HQ processor speed is always above 3.2 GHz and it never drops.

This new computer with i7-7700HQ processor has different speed every second - it goes from 3.6 to 1 Ghz in the matter of secnds. It is never constant and it is changing all the time even when nothing is on.
Is that normal???
It really confuses me.
7 REPLIES 7

MarshallR
Level 10
It's very normal. It improves battery life. When the CPU isn't being used it aggressively lowers its clock speed and voltage to minimize power use. It's maximum clock speed for 1 core is 3.8, but its base frequency is 2.8GHz.

MarshallR wrote:
It's very normal. It improves battery life. When the CPU isn't being used it aggressively lowers its clock speed and voltage to minimize power use. It's maximum clock speed for 1 core is 3.8, but its base frequency is 2.8GHz.

Thanks, I thought so. But observing my previous computer where it never goes bellow 3.3 GHz confused me....
Also it scared me that it can go from 3.8 to only 1.1GHz in the second.

But ok, I am glad it is normal.
Thanks.

DuleTnT
Level 7
Just one more question to be absolutelly sure - it is normal to go bellow base (2.8GHz) frequency also? That is actually what scared me - it can go down to 1 GHz.

DuleTnT wrote:
Just one more question to be absolutelly sure - it is normal to go bellow base (2.8GHz) frequency also? That is actually what scared me - it can go down to 1 GHz.

perhaps that's intel speedstep at work?
as long as you run benchmark programs and they all (the cores) go up to 2.83 GHz, there should be nothing you ought to be worried about.

High load = high clockspeed.
low load = low clockspeed = save power = longer battery life = profit.

in fact, if it doesn't downclock during idle, then you should be worried.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Menthol
Level 14
Yes that is normal on new Intel systems, Speed Shift in action

Great!
Thank you guys.

DuleTnT
Level 7
OK, I was relieved after this chat that everything is ok and normal, and then I went to turn on my computer and play some game....
and this is what happened:
Plenty ROG logos on screen freezed.
I needed to force shut down and start computer again, then it came on normally. It happened twice today

What the hell is that now?

Here is the picture: