cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Question] UX303lb caching SSD upgrade ?

haihane
Level 13
inspired by this thread, or more like reminded of a long time project i'd been wanting to do; i've wanted to get rid of the ExpressCache technology on my UX303lb since... well, since it's been giving me griefs (me no like grief in mah stuff, me lieky smooth perfechuun).

i'd remembered having to worry about it booting up properly every major Anniversary / Fall/ Creator's update in Windows 10. i'm pretty confident i narrowed it down to this because: i've tried clean installing it over and over again just to find the root cause of the problem, and during the clean installs (without ExpressCache), the laptop eats through any update and boots up fine.

only caveat to the above: slow ass bootup time.

so maybe i'll take up this project for real this time. here's what i want to do:

P.S.: on the safe side, i'll wait until this laptop's warranty is over. and i do acknowledge, the moment i do this, i absolve ASUS of potential warranty claims afterwards (if this **** breaks when i operate on it, it's all on me).

muh question (hoping this will bring more eager people into guiding me to the right path):
- i'll be following closely what the video guide shows,

- the first one is clear enough (SSD Slot). the circled part, that looks like SSD (or am i wrong?). and if it's "SSD too?", then is that the 24 GB Kingston SSD Cache thing? (i haven't actually opened my laptop yet to look at its insides, but i'd like to be prepared just in case).

- say that i'm going to get the 128 GB mSATA (or 256! depends on how nutty i'll be for this ultrabook), and also that i don't quite like the 24 GB Kingston SSD (it's caused me grief during updates); can i remove that circled SSD and throw away the ExpressCache thing altogether, and expect it to run smooth-sailing from then onwards?

- does that mean i have two mSata slots? (Yays? early celebration sin)

- assuming all of the above is possible; how would i best reinstall windows 10 after upgrading the SSD ? i'd imagine i'd have to clean reinstall it for it to properly detect the drive as SSD in windows. but is there any shortcut to clone my existing windows to the SSD and also have windows 10 detect it as SSD?
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.
0 REPLIES 0