cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My DIY solution to mounting 120mm fan into a 5.25 bay

877cms
Level 7
So I wanted to mount a 120mm fan into my 5.25bay at the top, having a google around it seems quite hard to come by an adapter nowadays. I could have used a 120mm radiator bracket (too expensive) or just some tiewraps (does not work well with my ocd lol).

It's more difficult than it would seem to mount the fan so it can be removed easily with just a screwdriver and from the front/sides only, due to the rad pipes at the back blocking access. Then I had a brainwave, I had an old DVDROM I had just chucked in the bin. Bit of measuring and dremeling later I had my solution which slides in and out and fixes with 4 screws:

DVDROM stripped down and cut in half:

The two halves from the front:

Mounted in the drive bay to test fits ok:

The fan fitted to the brackets ready to slide in:

The finished article:

Probably someone will link to a better solution, but I enjoyed the satisfaction of making this with zero cost 🙂

Finished build https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101057-Maximus-X-Formula-custom-loop-direction-of-flow-adv...
Maximus X Formula | 8700K | 16GB Corsair Vengance 3600 | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Watercooled CPU & GPU
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
Even if you decide to change to an off the shelf mount later you haven't lost anything since this only cost a dremmel disc. 🙂
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Even if you decide to change to an off the shelf mount later you haven't lost anything since this only cost a dremmel disc. 🙂

Exactly! There are a surprising lack of off the shelf mounts I found..
Maximus X Formula | 8700K | 16GB Corsair Vengance 3600 | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Watercooled CPU & GPU

xeromist
Well, there's stuff like this radiator mount but it's $15:
https://www.amazon.com/XSPC-Universal-Radstand-V2-120mm/dp/B015M4LZKW

I'd have to do some hunting to find something inexpensive. I think the reason you didn't find many is that most people just use the mountings that are provided by the case. So if there isn't a mount where they want a fan they just put one somewhere else and call it good.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…