cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seagate ST1000LM035-1RK172 SDM2 Firmware Update

guyz92
Level 7
Hi,

For those Asus Laptop installed with Seagate ST1000LM035-1RK172 with firmware SDM1, just wondering are you facing slow down if the operating system is installed running as system drive?

For my Asus GL553VD-DM410T, unfortunately the 1TB 5400RPM harddrive ST1000LM035-1RK172 with SDM1 is causing super Slow IO problem.

After sourcing for firmware update, manage to get it from Dell.

After upgrading the firmware from SDM1 to SDM2, slow OS installation and slow windows update problem is fixed.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/sg/en/sgdhs1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=0D4C3

With Lenovo Firmware Update tool (Without reboot):
Click Here to Download

Please try the Rosewood3(RW3) version first as it is tested working on my Harddrive.

If you are facing same slow IO problem, this should be the best solution to fix it.
10 REPLIES 10

Peneoark
Level 9
Thanks for the info. Slap a FireCuda in there 🙂

StarJack
Level 11
guyz92 wrote:
Hi,

For those Asus Laptop installed with Seagate ST1000LM035-1RK172 with firmware SDM1, just wondering are you facing slow down if the operating system is installed running as system drive?

For my Asus GL553VD-DM410T, unfortunately the 1TB 5400RPM harddrive ST1000LM035-1RK172 with SDM1 is causing super Slow IO problem.

After sourcing for firmware update, manage to get it from Dell.

After upgrading the firmware from SDM1 to SDM2, slow OS installation and slow windows update problem is fixed.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/sg/en/sgdhs1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=0D4C3

If you are facing same slow IO problem, this should be the best solution to fix it.

Thanks for this, I just upgraded the firmware in my GL702VMK SATA drive, which is the same model.

StarJack

FastM
Level 8
not to be a stickler but how can you still be running your windows on a HDD vs an SSD. I think it’s been at least 4 or 5 years i haven’t installed windows on a normal HDD wether it be a brand new system or fixing up an older one.. Can’t even say price, if you can afford a gaming laptop you can afford a 128gb SSD..

FastM wrote:
not to be a stickler but how can you still be running your windows on a HDD vs an SSD. I think it’s been at least 4 or 5 years i haven’t installed windows on a normal HDD wether it be a brand new system or fixing up an older one.. Can’t even say price, if you can afford a gaming laptop you can afford a 128gb SSD..

Thanks for the comment, My Asus GL553VD came with Sandisk 128GB M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 5400RPM Seagate ST1000LM0035-1RK172.

I am referring to other users who brought their laptop from Asus and was given the above mention hard-drive with defective firmware.

If Asus goes for a better reputable brand like HGST or Western Digital, such problem won't happen in the first place.

Also for more advance setup which uses the 128GB SSD as cache drive aka Intel Smart Respond Technology, they need to install the Windows on HDD before enabling the SSD as cache drive. By using this setup, you can have large amount of storage while having fast boot up speed.

guyz92 wrote:
Thanks for the comment, My Asus GL553VD came with Sandisk 128GB M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 5400RPM Seagate ST1000LM0035-1RK172.

I am referring to other users who brought their laptop from Asus and was given the above mention hard-drive with defective firmware.

If Asus goes for a better reputable brand like HGST or Western Digital, such problem won't happen in the first place.

Also for more advance setup which uses the 128GB SSD as cache drive aka Intel Smart Respond Technology, they need to install the Windows on HDD before enabling the SSD as cache drive. By using this setup, you can have large amount of storage while having fast boot up speed.

I also find it a bit weird. This HDD being a 5400rpm drive is giving me piss poor performance.
I currently have it as a secondary drive on my laptop, and this thing is only spitting out read and right speeds in the 60MB/s, whereas my 3 year old 5400rpm SSHD is spitting out 110MB/s, and 100+MB/s is more typical of a 5400rpm hard drive.

I also have a 2TB WD MyPassport Ultra 5400rpm drive that spits out similar numbers to the SSHD.

Hello

I also have a GL553VD and I can not update the firmware.
when I run the utility, and I start the procedure, windows reboot but does not update the firmware.
When windows reboot, the firmware is still in SDM1

Has someone already had this problem ?

Tatan974 wrote:
Hello

I also have a GL553VD and I can not update the firmware.
when I run the utility, and I start the procedure, windows reboot but does not update the firmware.
When windows reboot, the firmware is still in SDM1

Has someone already had this problem ?

Hi,

I have compiled the firmware into a zip file with alternate firmware update tool provided by Lenovo and is the tool that I used to update my Seagate Harddrive.
Please use the RW3(Rosewood3) version first as this is the firmware that I use and it is flash successfully.

If during the flashing process it fails with a warning message, means that the harddrive block flashing of incompatible firmware.
This harddrive have 3 official version, Rosewood1, Rosewood2 and Rosewood3, those later version produce during the late 2016 to early 2017 should be Rosewood3.

Flash at your own risk!

Click Here to Download

Thank You.

thank you !
The RW3 did not work but the RW2 was able to flash the HHD 🙂

WHIPLASH_2-1
Level 7
Hello guys, my system was manufactured in Nov 2017 with the same HDD.
I am noticing it already has the SDM2 firmware installed from factory.

Yet Dell released a later version of the firmware on 11th July 2018, but with the same SDM2 version number...

I tried to run the Dell util, but it creates seperate HDD partition & boot entry - boots to linux & never updates the FW. Some Win10 Users reported the same issue, Dell did not trial test it on their machine.

@guyz92 Can you again see if there's any other latest FW available now? I beleive u have more knowledge regarding where to find & compile HW, since u create ur own utility 🙂