cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound Crackling/Popping while playing games

emesay
Level 7
Hello guys.

I have had a sound problem for 4 months.
I mean crackling / popping when playing games.
I tried diffrent ways.
-Instaled different os (win10, win8.1, win7)
-Tried different drivers
-Updated and downgraded bios
-I bought new PSU
-I buy external sound card (usb)
-I tried a lot of tuttorials
-Disabled fast boot in bios and in windows
-Enable maximum performance in bios and windows
-I tried different headphones

My config:
Mother: Asus Maximus VIII Hero
CPU: i7 6700k
Cooler: fortis 3
Gpu: gtx 1070 asus dual oc
Ram: Corsair 3000mhz ddr4
PSU: SilentiumPC Vero l1
Sound card: Audiotrak Prodigy Cube Black

I do not have any idea how to fix it.
Maybe someone can help me in this annoying problem
10 REPLIES 10

Vinny1001
Level 9
Are you running the BIOS at default, yes? No OC? If so, good.

After a fresh install of Win10, did you only use drivers off the motherboard site? I know there are newer drivers out there on tenforums for realtek. I would only download drivers from the Microsoft Update Catalog that are compatible with your hardware ID for realtek to assure you're not using something that may not be compatible.

To find hardware ID: Device manager, Sound, video, & game controllers, click Realtek HD audio, properties, click the Details tab, and in the drop down select hardware ID. You should right click it and paste it into the Microsoft update catalog search. Sort by most recent, and make sure you select the one that matches your Win10 version (Falls creator update would be for if you have that, etc). I'm on the hero alpha, my hardware ID was the 0900 one.

To verify it's compatible, click the title, then click to see what hardware ID's are compatible, yours should be in there. Try using this driver to update through Device manager and selecting this download (after it's extracted into a folder).

The intel LAN driver had a bug that caused bad audio issues. Be sure that's up to date. Get the latest online. Ignore the old one on the motherboard site. I had bad cracking/popping back when that driver was known to cause those issues.

What changed 4 months ago? Did you switch your power strip? Try another. Plug it into another outlet.
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.

Yup I tried Oc and without oc with custom settings etc..
I tried different drivers nothing helped..

I bought external sound card - audiotrak prodigy cube black edition and again I can hear popping/crackling idk whats going on

Vinny1001
Level 9
Hmmm. Ok, just trying to cover many options. Please try to use a different power strip and or outlet.

Also, a good check is to use LatencyMon. I feel that you already tried it.

If so, what was it saying? Did it say there are audio issues? What was causing it?

I'm just trying to gather more information on my end to see what else there is that you can try before sending it in for warranty.

I apologize if there's some repetition in either of our communication. It'll help others see and give input as needed.
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.

emesay
Level 7

Vinny1001
Level 9
Ok. Read through. You've truly done almost everything I can think of and that I went through.

I see you only ran latency mon for a little over a minute. Please run it for at least 15 minutes. Something should pop up that will indicate your audio is having issues. Try it, let it run just on the desktop with regular PC usage. Then screen shot it. Then also run it and play a video game for at least 15, and screen shot latency mon.

Let me know! 🙂

w4tch0
Level 7
GeForce drives from version 387.98 and higher tend to cause something that you describe. DDU clean your current geforce drivers and install something older than 387.98 and see if it helps.

I know running old drivers is not ideal, but at least you'll be able to confirm if that is the problem or not.

cljustin
Level 8
Have you tried another monitor? I've heard of cases where monitors are making crackling noises.

G75rog
Level 10
I had some popping and crackling in my headset once. Turns out it was the cat playing with a paper bag.

Never had any issues with the Max VIII or the Rampage Apex VI.

Are you using powered headset or powered speakers?

emesay
Level 7
I tried other monitors, tried old drivers..