cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG278Q and PG348Q reset their refresh rate to 60Hz when starting Dark Souls 3

Nyffenschwander
Level 7
Hey all,

I have a weird issue that happens with both my PG278Q and my PG348Q: I've set them to their max refresh rate (144hz and 100hz respectively) both on the monitor (with the turbo button) as well as in the nvidia control panel. When I start Dark Souls or Dark Souls 3 however, both monitors reset themselves to 60hz. That's a behavior that doesn't happen in any other game I play and while it's a minor thing, it is annoying to constantly have to reset them to their max refresh.

Here's my hardware: i7 6700k, 16GBs DDR4, MSI GTX 1080Ti. Monitors are plugged in via displayport ofc. The issue happens when they are both plugged in at the same time as well as when they are plugged in individually. I'm on the newest gpu driver, and I have tried uninstalling with ddu in safe mode and reinstalling several times already. No change.

Does anyone have an idea what I can do?
2 REPLIES 2

cljustin
Level 8
The game engine is capped at 60fps, so you cannot run 144hz/100 hz in this game.

Nyffenschwander
Level 7
cljustin, that is very true, but afaik that should not result in my monitor changing its max refresh rate setting on its own. Especially because with other games with a 60 fps cap (e .g. Skyrim, Fallout 4, The Binding of Isaac, etc.), this does not happen. To make it more clear what I mean: as soon as I start Dark Souls, it's as if I pressed the turbo button on my monitor so it sets itself to 60 hz max. Meaning, as soon as I get to the desktop or start another game with no fps lock, I need to press the turbo button again twice to get the ability to have 144 hz.