cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z370-E & 8700K—Locked at 800MHZ—Processor Throttled?

zaknafien117
Level 7
Hi all. I'm new to PC building and trying to work my way out of an issue with my processor performing well below expectations. For some reason, it appears to be locked at 800MHZ—which is apparent in the bios. I have made sure to check the Windows performance profile, cleared CMOS, and updated the bios, and I've tried a fresh Windows install with no change.

I have XMP set to Profile 1 but that's about as much as I've tinkered with the bios.

Here's a link to Speccy.
Here's a link to an HWMonitor readout after 20 minutes of a Prime95 default torture test.
Also, UserBenchmark results below.

Is there a motherboard setting or physical hardware element on the board that could be contributing to this?

Thanks in advance.

—————
UserBenchmarks: Game 50%, Desk 27%, Work 27%
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K - 19.4%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080-Ti - 132.1%
SSD: Micron_1100_MTFDDAK2T0TBN 2TB - 68.9%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB - 66.4%
HDD: Hitachi HDN728080ALE604 8TB - 117.3%
RAM: G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3200 C16 4x8GB - 45.6%
MBD: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING
8 REPLIES 8

Menthol
Level 14
Unless you have an LN2 switch on the motherboard that has been switched to the on position, return to retailer or RMA

Menthol wrote:
Unless you have an LN2 switch on the motherboard that has been switched to the on position, return to retailer or RMA

Ugh, okay. I was worried about that, but I'll look into a return. It's a Z370-E, and I don't see anything for LN2 on the board. Thanks for the response.

Menthol wrote:

Try the suggestions mentioned above first, I mentioned this because I had a M VIII Hero that got stuck at 800 Mhz and no mater what multiplier I tried to enter it remained stuck at 8, I flashed newest and earlier bios's, tried with a different CPU, etc. with no change, if a board can be returned to the retailer before the time expires is easier and faster than an RMA so don't wait to long

ssuteck
Level 7
Go in your bios at startup and check your bios overclock multiplyer setting of the cpu. Make sure it isn't set to 8. It should be in auto just to check. The only other thing I can think of is to make sure your CPU is seated correctly.

ssuteck wrote:
Go in your bios at startup and check your bios overclock multiplyer setting of the cpu. Make sure it isn't set to 8. It should be in auto just to check. The only other thing I can think of is to make sure your CPU is seated correctly.

Do you happen to know where to find the multiplier setting? I've looked through the menus and I can't find anything that seems right.

The multiplier is set to Auto and as it happens, it won't register any changes I make to the multiplier. And toggling the "CPU_OV" pins do not help. I also checked the CPU and cooler, no bent pins and everything is installed correctly, as far as I can tell. Losing hope, here.

Nate152
Hi zak

Have you checked the Maximum processor state?

If it's set to 100%, reinstalling windows may fix the problem.

zaknafien117
Level 7
This solved it—I need to RMA my motherboard. Thanks for the help, all.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3520459/7600k-stuck-800mhz.html