cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix CPU CODE: 00 ?

mjan8935
Level 7
Hi team,

I recently built x4 identical PC's with the specs outlined below. They all worked fine for about two months until yesterday when one of then started showing the error code "CPU CODE: 00" on the motherboard. So 3 out of 4 PCs work without issues, however, only one displays this error. Nothing shows on screen when I boot the computer up. All PC's are running at their default settings, no over clocking of any components.

I have tried / checked the following and the error still occurs. I was wondering if there is anything else that I could try before sending the motherboard and CPU back for a replacement.

What I have tried:
1) unplug components one by one and restart ( RAM, hard drive, DVD drive, graphics card, wires from the case etc.)
2) remove motherboard completely from the case to see if there is a short circuit.
3) remove the CPU to see if there are any bent pins - none as far as I could see.
4) Clear CMOS both via the button and also by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes.
5) Switched LN2 Mode on/off.

SPECS:
CPU: Intel i7-7820X
Motherboard: ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
Graphics: Asus PH-GTX1050-2G nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5
Memory: G.Skill F4-2400C15Q-32GRR QUAD CHANNEL: 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz [Ripjaws4] 1.2V
Hard Disk: Samsung 860 PRO SSD: 1TB
19 REPLIES 19

Raja
Level 13
Od that it would happen out of the blue. Check with a different PSU.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Od that it would happen out of the blue. Check with a different PSU.

Sorry, forgot to mention PSU in specs before. The PSU's in all 4 PC's mentioned above is:
CORSAIR TX650

I tried with another CORSAIR TX650 and still get thte CODE:00 error.

I understand that this PSU is no on the qualified vendors list for this motherboard...
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2066/ROG_RAMPAGE_VI_EXTREME/ROG_RAMPAGE_VI_EXTREME_device_QVL....

...so I tested it again with one that is, on the list:
EVGA SuperNova-750-G3 750W

I know only the ...G2 version of the EVGA PSU is on the QVL above but I assumed if version G2 is ok, G3 would be too.

So, In summary, I still get the error for two different CORSAIR TX 650 PSU's and for the EVGA SuperNova-750-G3 750W

Madr0X
Level 7
Had the same issue on my formula turned out that my h100i's pump was on its way out and didnt give the readings like it should so the mobo refused to start.....
I replaced cooler and all was fine again

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Madr0X wrote:
Had the same issue on my formula turned out that my h100i's pump was on its way out and didnt give the readings like it should so the mobo refused to start.....
I replaced cooler and all was fine again

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

I am using air cooling for the CPU:
Noctua NH-U12S CPU Cooler

The graphics card is also air-cooled.

mjan8935 wrote:
I am using air cooling for the CPU:
Noctua NH-U12S CPU Cooler

The graphics card is also air-cooled.

I had the SAME ISSUE! my fan header was not plugged in all the way! It was giving me code 00. I started randamly getting codes after every reboot 9r shutdown. I thought my board was dead. Turned out... its only a fan header!!!!

Make sure you double check!

Nate152
Hi mjman8935

I don't have your board but most of the time code 00 is caused by three things, a faulty psu, motherboard or cpu. Testing with three psu's I think we can rule out the psu.

There are other things that can cause code 00 like bent cpu socket pins, corrupt bios, failed memory training.

Try updating/reflashing the bios via the bios flashback method. If that doesn't bring it to life, swap cpu's with one of your other pc's.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi mjman8935

I don't have your board but most of the time code 00 is caused by three things, a faulty psu, motherboard or cpu. Testing with three psu's I think we can rule out the psu.

There are other things that can cause code 00 like bent cpu socket pins, corrupt bios, failed memory training.

Try updating/reflashing the bios via the bios flashback method. If that doesn't bring it to life, swap cpu's with one of your other pc's.

dead cpu
MB: ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME-CPU: Intel Core i9-7920X Processor Extreme Edition 4.2 GHZ auto-CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i v2 Video: GEFORCE GTX 1070 Founders Edition. - G.SKILL 32GB 14-14-14-34
F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR- Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850 w-SSD: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 2TB x3 -SSD: Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB OS-Sound Blaster Z -Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I210 CASE:Cooler Master: HAF X MONITOR:IPS LED LG 27" 27UD69P 27 inch 4K 5 ms TV: LG OLED55C8P OS: Windows 10 x64 Pro up to date

Nate152 wrote:
Hi mjman8935

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried updating the bios again but still get the error.

I have also tried swapping the CPU from one of the computers that worked. For clarification, the PC's tested are called:
MJ-PC: everything works fine.
SC-PC: reports the above mentioned CPU CODE: 00 error.

I put the just the CPU from SC-PC into the motherboard of MJ-PC. I didn't put cooling in and unplugged all hard disks. I didn't see the CPU CODE: 00 error. I saw a few other errors (VGA- CPU with different codes) but I assume that was because I didn't put the cooling in. The point being that it I did not see CPU code: 00 error with SC-PC's CPU in MJ-PC's motherboard.

I put the CPU from MJ-PC into the motherboard of SC-PC and I get the error CPU CODE:00 again.

So, in summary, when swapping CPU's, I still see the error CPU CODE: 00 on SC-PC which, based on the above comments mean that the motherboard must be faulty or there is a bent pin and I cannot see it?

Nate152
Since it died on you out of the blue I don't think you have bent socket pins but it seems you do have a faulty motherboard.