cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nex RVI Apex bios 1201 newer than 1301

Menthol
Level 14
A new bios with a lower number

Do we need to install 1301 to update CPU microcode before installing 1201 to update ME Firmware, I have not installed 1301 yet>
6 REPLIES 6

CSN7
Level 7
Good Question! Maybe it's just a typo?! Seems weird.

Menthol
Level 14
A number doesn't really mean much except typically a higher number usually means newer, guess I'll update from 1102 to 1301 and record microcode and firmware before updating to 1201 and compare microcode and firmware versions again

I believe that at this point in time with all the Intel updates for vulnerabilities if the PC is used daily it's best to keep bios and firmware updated. Same for an AMD board I assume.
If there's one thing I am confident about is ASUS's ability with UEFI's

Top3koms
Level 7
Any information would be greatly appreciated Menthol.Definately strange that they would go backwards in revision number.

CSN7
Level 7
So any new insights? I'm still confused.

Menthol
Level 14
Sorry I have not gotten around to installing either of these versions at this time, also my board is on a bench table with all unneeded devices disabled so I couldn't test sound, WiFi, etc., do the other X299 boards also have new bios, and are they numbered similarly

The description make it sound like Intel vulnerabilities fixed so Microsoft's fix's would not be needed, not sure if any performance hits are different, lessened or increased

CSN7
Level 7
So I went and installed both, and in fact the 1201 version eventhough released in april, has a build date in january whereas the 1301 bios has a build date in march and comes with the latest ME version and the latest microcode. It isn't exactly clear to me what the reason for a late release of an older bios is, but my advice would be to stick with 1301 which runs smoothly.

Only thing I found is that the XMP of my 4000 cl17 g.skill doesn't work out of the box but that's no big deal for me.