cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL503VD Constant freezes even when not playing any games

KazutoKZ
Level 7
Hello, this is my third problem and my third thread in this forum.So, as you can see my experience with asus's laptop isn't really good.

GL503VD
GTX 1050
I7 7700HQ
16GB RAM

So,in the past few days i've had some freezes that i never expierience before. It always freezes for 1- 2 seconds and it does randomly, like when im opening a folder, playing games even when only moving my mouse without clicking anything. Sometimes it only happens once every 5 minutes, sometimes it constantly freezing for 4 times in a row ( 1-2 seconds each). It annoys me so much when it is freezing like that. So i've had enough and i tried to guess that it is the cpu. Then i downloaded cpuz and stressed the cpu,it is constantly freezing. So i think my guess is right. But i dont know how to fix this , does anyone have this problem ? And know how to fix this ?

My plan is to give it to tech tommorow, so ill update it soon. It is night in here so ill probably respond tommorow.

Sorry for my bad english

Respond is much appreciated and thank you
10 REPLIES 10

FastM
Level 8
So your describing more of a pause that the systems recovers from. not a lock up right?

like your mouse cursor will stop responding for 1-2 seconds and they work again?

do you run windows on a normal HDD or SSD?*

FastM wrote:
So your describing more of a pause that the systems recovers from. not a lock up right?

like your mouse cursor will stop responding for 1-2 seconds and they work again?

do you run windows on a normal HDD or SSD?*

Hi thank you for your respond

Yes my cursor freezes but all of my work, games freezes too at that 2 seconds. I use hdd

FastM
Level 8
It could be a lot of things but my first thought is change your HDD for a different one, a fresh install of Windows would not hurt either. I highly highly highly recommend buying an SSD to run windows on as well.*The 128gb M.2’s are not very expensive and will make a massive difference in how your laptop runs.

My analogy to running your OS on a normal HDD with today’s tech is like driving a Ferrari on wheel-barrel tires.*

FastM wrote:
It could be a lot of things but my first thought is change your HDD for a different one, a fresh install of Windows would not hurt either. I highly highly highly recommend buying an SSD to run windows on as well.*The 128gb M.2’s are not very expensive and will make a massive difference in how your laptop runs.

My analogy to running your OS on a normal HDD with today’s tech is like driving a Ferrari on wheel-barrel tires.*

Hi, before buying anything is there any slot left for another ssd/hdd ? As far as i know my gl503vd hdd is a hybrid for hdd and ssd.

FastM
Level 8
ASUS ROG Hero Edition (GL503VD) - Specs
CPU. Intel Core i7-7700HQ
GPU. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (4GB GDDR5)
Display. 15.6”, Full HD (1920 x 1080), 120 Hz, IPS.
HDD/SSD. 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 1TB HDD, 7200 rpm.
M.2 Slot. 1x PCIe NVMe M.2 slot (2280, M-key)
RAM. 16GB DDR4, 2400 MHz.
Battery. 64Wh, 4-cell.

You have a normal 2.5” bay and a M.2 NVMe port. I believe the M.2 is currently empty.

If it’s a hybrid drive the OS should be running off the SSD portion. I would need to see more about how your system is setup to help, It could be a hardware problem..

A good place to start is a fresh install of windows, eliminate a software issue..*

FastM wrote:
ASUS ROG Hero Edition (GL503VD) - Specs
CPU. Intel Core i7-7700HQ
GPU. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (4GB GDDR5)
Display. 15.6”, Full HD (1920 x 1080), 120 Hz, IPS.
HDD/SSD. 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 1TB HDD, 7200 rpm.
M.2 Slot. 1x PCIe NVMe M.2 slot (2280, M-key)
RAM. 16GB DDR4, 2400 MHz.
Battery. 64Wh, 4-cell.

You have a normal 2.5” bay and a M.2 NVMe port. I believe the M.2 is currently empty.

If it’s a hybrid drive the OS should be running off the SSD portion. I would need to see more about how your system is setup to help, It could be a hardware problem..

A good place to start is a fresh install of windows, eliminate a software issue..*

Thanks for the reply, my laptop currently is in my tech hand and my tech said it might be a software issues (because before there isn't any issues like this ). So my tech currently doing some fresh install so ill update this ASAP

Thank you

ukasyah_rz
Level 7
I have the same problem 😞

ifeyfm
Level 7
Me too, same problem, I have upgrade 8GB Ram + 256SSD, Still freeze randomly

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent