cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX Z270F fan headers and Magnetic Levitation fans?

Furiku
Level 7
So, I've been thinking about getting Corsairs ML120PRO RGB Magnetic Levitation bearing fans but then I came across that they seem to require constant 12V to work properly and not break.
I tried looking for information regarding the PWM fan headers on the motherboard if they're suitable for this (as in if they are true PWM and capable of supplying that constant 12V instead of being 5v ones) , but only port on manual that has some sort of specification regarding this is CPU_FAN (page 1-16). What about all the other ports?:)

Any help would be appreciated. Really not looking forward to spending good amount of money on fans only to find out I'm out of luck with my motherboard.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/STRIX_Z270F_GAMING/E12193_STRIX_Z270F_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.p...
1 REPLY 1

davemon50
Level 11
OK, so out of the gate let me just say, you're going to be fine.

These are PWM fans (that's based on the model number you listed and my visit to the Corsair website page, so just make sure it actually says PWM before you buy them). PWM fans are going to be controlled by a 4-pin header/connector, and that's the key indicator for you. One of the four connecting wires is a 12V connection, and the modulating control signal is generated on another one of the four wires. So it still gets the required voltage, but it just changes the fan operation through modulation of the control waveform. Those fans have an operating voltage range from 10.8 to 13.2 volts.

If you are buying 3-pin fans they can have the ability to modulate under certain connection configurations, but they would actually modulate the voltage to change the speed of the fans, so just make sure you are not using a 3-pin header or a 3-pin fan. Must be 4-pin fan connected on a PWM 4-pin header. In reality it doesn't have to modulate, but why use PWM fan if you didn't want to modulate?

We use maglev chillers now pretty commonly (trains now for a while too), and they are much quieter. I'd love to hear your feedback on how quiet they operate when you install them. For chillers, the bearings are powered at startup and stop, so the motor/shaft coasts to a stop while the bearings are still powered. They also have backups but I doubt these little computer fans do. The other thing you should see is reduced power consumption - I'm not sure if you monitor your systems amp draw, but there should be a slight impact on your fan power use (reduced with maglev).
Davemon50