cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JZ graphics card and power issues

Salt710
Level 7
Hello,*

*I’ve had a ROG G750JZ laptop for about 4 years and for the first 2 years I didn’t have a problem. However I notice that the battery life was decreasing overtime which is to be expect. Early last year the battery was at a point where it would last less then a minute. I kept on the device to prevent instant power loss.

However around September last year I started to have problems with the graphics card (880). It started when I noticed that games were running poorly. I checked device manager and I notice that the 880 drivers had an error message on it and was not working properly. I tried to uninstall the display driver and reinstall them, through the GeForce experience and from the direct download. It didn’t work however the after a few weeks I noticed that the graphics and driver was working again. It when like this for several months. I found that the best way to get the it working again was to completely uninstall the devices and driver and have the computer redetect the device. I did notices that when the 880m was working the left fan (from the perspective of the person you bing the laptop) ran extremely hard, sometimes from the second it was turned on also sometimes while playing games the computer would load power from the power plug even when it was plugged in. In the worse case it was lose detection of the power plug and would shut off and would not turn back on. This has happened several time including today. The only way I’ve found to fix this is to try to turn it on over and over again, with and without the battery in, until it would reconize it he charger again. I can tell when it does because of the battery charging light would come on. This is what happened today and so far it has not turned back on.

I am sorry that I can’t get anymore technical info as I can’t turn on my laptop right now. I was wondering if anyone has had these problems before and how to fix them. I am wondering if buying a new battery would fix some of these issues. *Any help would be appreciated.*
4 REPLIES 4

Salt710
Level 7
Salt710 wrote:
Hello,*

*I’ve had a ROG G750JZ laptop for about 4 years and for the first 2 years I didn’t have a problem. However I notice that the battery life was decreasing overtime which is to be expect. Early last year the battery was at a point where it would last less then a minute. I kept on the device to prevent instant power loss.

However around September last year I started to have problems with the graphics card (880). It started when I noticed that games were running poorly. I checked device manager and I notice that the 880 drivers had an error message on it and was not working properly. I tried to uninstall the display driver and reinstall them, through the GeForce experience and from the direct download. It didn’t work however the after a few weeks I noticed that the graphics and driver was working again. It when like this for several months. I found that the best way to get the it working again was to completely uninstall the devices and driver and have the computer redetect the device. I did notices that when the 880m was working the left fan (from the perspective of the person you bing the laptop) ran extremely hard, sometimes from the second it was turned on also sometimes while playing games the computer would load power from the power plug even when it was plugged in. In the worse case it was lose detection of the power plug and would shut off and would not turn back on. This has happened several time including today. The only way I’ve found to fix this is to try to turn it on over and over again, with and without the battery in, until it would reconize it he charger again. I can tell when it does because of the battery charging light would come on. This is what happened today and so far it has not turned back on.

I am sorry that I can’t get anymore technical info as I can’t turn on my laptop right now. I was wondering if anyone has had these problems before and how to fix them. I am wondering if buying a new battery would fix some of these issues. *Any help would be appreciated.*

Something I forgot to mention is that sometimes when I enable the graphic driver the computer would crash with a video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error. *Also when the graphics driver was disabled the power issues disappear.

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes, you need to change out your battery at times under load you will need more power than just your AC adapter which gets drawn from your battery
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

xXxR0GL0rdxXx
Level 7
Well, if the left fan works extremely hard, that means your laptop is using the CPU's GPU (Intel HD). That's why games also run very poorly when that happens. I recommend installing "MSI Afterburner" to see what's happening with your GPUs, why it's not used, etc. Btw I have been using my G750JZ for long years now (like you) and never had this "Device error" message. Probably the GPU is not seated properly? Not sure if that can cause problems. It's like a little card on the motherboard. (Though, then why it starts working again.... yeah, I know. It's just a complete shot in the dark.)

Sooo...power wise: No clue where it goes wrong. The charger physically just connects into the motherboard. Probably the connector has some issues inside? Some expert may be able to repair that? I don't know...

I found this just now on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Jack-Power-IN-Board-for-Asus-ROG-G750-2014-G750JZ-17FA-G750JZ-XS72-G750J...

THIS MAY NOT BE A FIX FOR YOU. It could be, but no one can tell from this far.
(I am looking for the ribbons myself + fan.)

Anyhow.

- Taking apart this machine IS A PAIN.
- You need a set of "plastic pry tools", I recommend a "smartphone repair kit" from eBay, they cost 1$ or something like that.
- ALL screws are like ALL different, so label everything, have patience like a Holy Man, everything. Patience is everything.
- Every ribbon cable and connector WILL damage a bit when you take things apart so be eeextremely careful when you disconnect them. I used tweezers, patience, steady hands, and after the 3rd disassembly I still almost killed my SATA cable.
- Watch Youtube disassembly vids.
- You could re-seat the GPU as well since you are there.

If you never took apart laptops, get someone who did. These machines are MUCH MUCH worse than any plastic laptop or a Dell Latitude / Precision for example. It's like a special circle of hell, for laptop disassembly. Trust me.

xXxR0GL0rdxXx wrote:
Well, if the left fan works extremely hard, that means your laptop is using the CPU's GPU (Intel HD). That's why games also run very poorly when that happens. I recommend installing "MSI Afterburner" to see what's happening with your GPUs, why it's not used, etc. Btw I have been using my G750JZ for long years now (like you) and never had this "Device error" message. Probably the GPU is not seated properly? Not sure if that can cause problems. It's like a little card on the motherboard. (Though, then why it starts working again.... yeah, I know. It's just a complete shot in the dark.)

Sooo...power wise: No clue where it goes wrong. The charger physically just connects into the motherboard. Probably the connector has some issues inside? Some expert may be able to repair that? I don't know...

I found this just now on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Jack-Power-IN-Board-for-Asus-ROG-G750-2014-G750JZ-17FA-G750JZ-XS72-G750J...

THIS MAY NOT BE A FIX FOR YOU. It could be, but no one can tell from this far.
(I am looking for the ribbons myself + fan.)

Anyhow.

- Taking apart this machine IS A PAIN.
- You need a set of "plastic pry tools", I recommend a "smartphone repair kit" from eBay, they cost 1$ or something like that.
- ALL screws are like ALL different, so label everything, have patience like a Holy Man, everything. Patience is everything.
- Every ribbon cable and connector WILL damage a bit when you take things apart so be eeextremely careful when you disconnect them. I used tweezers, patience, steady hands, and after the 3rd disassembly I still almost killed my SATA cable.
- Watch Youtube disassembly vids.
- You could re-seat the GPU as well since you are there.

If you never took apart laptops, get someone who did. These machines are MUCH MUCH worse than any plastic laptop or a Dell Latitude / Precision for example. It's like a special circle of hell, for laptop disassembly. Trust me.

I myself have the G750JZ for 4 years too and just to clear some words you said there buddy.

1) I agree its a paint to take apart for the first few times but afterwards its like a speedrun that is done in under 30 minutes
2) You don't need a set of pry tools. All I use is a small scredriver, a magnetic scredriver and any plastic card that you'll use to take the laptop keyboard apart.
3) I agree. They are different and marking them as they were in before is a must.
4) They won't damage if you do it properly. Yes you have to be gentle and be careful but ti won't damage if you do it properly. You don't need any tools either, you can take them all out by hands. The connectors have a latch that you have to first put up to unlock and then just pull the cable out. The insertion is the same.
5) Yes, also clean the whole laptop and repaste it. You'll have a great decrease in temperatures. If you're feeling even more, you could make extra holes to increase cooling to a point it will be cooler than a desktop.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD