cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fustrating FAN Issues

joshua5
Level 7
I am so lost, I am confused. I have the Z370-E. two front 140mm Corsair ML140s, one connected to the M.2 socket and the other to Chass2. I have An 8700k with a Deep Cool single 120mm fan on a 4 pipe tower. I have one ML140 on the exhaust backside connected to Chass1. And I have an ML120 on the top connected to CPU_OPT.

The issue is that it seems not to keep up normally with CPU heat. Even just browsing, the CPU jumps to high 30's or low 40's and a fan or two roars up really fast, the CPU drops to 30's to high 20's, and the fan goes quiet again. All the fans settle in the 400's, but they go into the high 1000's when they do their annoying thing.

I don't know if I have a thermal issue or not. I left Subnautica up all night doing it's thing. I know most is on the 1070 GPU, but it stayed in the low 40's. I imagine I do not have a dangerous thermal issue, but if anything its so annoying. I mean, just sitting there, it revs up all aggressively and I don't get why. Someone told me to get an AIO fan, but I am not sure if it is a thermal problem or the Z370-E is just not responding to heat fast enough.

I ran Q-Fan, both in the Bios and in AI3 or Dual Processor 5 or whatever it is called. I asked ASUS about it through their Chat channels, but all I got from them is to take out the CMOS battery and drain it out. I did that, and it did fully reset everything, but I still have the fan issues.

On a side note, does anyone else's "top" wifi connector wiggle? Mine wiggles rather far. I say "top" as it is the one on top when the MB is laid out flat.

Hurm..... I am plaing FF14 and not seeing death, but I am afraid to try Far Cry 5 with this weird fan performance issue.

Thanks.
JMS
4 REPLIES 4

Nate152
Hi Joshua5

It's normal for the cpu temp to jump up and down when browsing and your temps look good.

I believe your issue is you have the top ML120 fan connected to the cpu_opt header which will ramp up and down with cpu temp. Only have the cpu fan(s) connected to the cpu and cpu_opt headers.

Seeing the Strix Z370-E has only two chassis fan headers, your best bet would be to get a Y splitter for the front two fans then populate the free header with the top fan.

Raja
Level 13
Just anecdotal info: the CPU opt header is slaved to the CPU fan header. If you want to run two fans on those headers, make sure they are exactly the same model.

joshua5
Level 7
I thought y adapters for PWM was kinda a no no?

Links
Level 7
Isn't it the very common issue since 7th gen I7 ?
https://communities.intel.com/thread/110728

A similar thread?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101461-What-profiles-to-use-for-CPU-radiator-fans&p=716685...

P.S Joshua5, and yes, those ML's are as loud on high rpm's as hell )