Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    ROG Junior Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Question G75VW crashing when gaming w/o BSOD

    Hi,

    I've had an Asus G75VW for 6 years now.

    For weeks now the laptop completely and brutally crashes (shutdown, no BSOD) after a couples hours and sometimes minutes gaming, depending on the game.
    I've checked the temps with Afterburner and the GPU reaches 85°C on Fortnite for example. Yesterday, it crashed on a game when the GPU was at 78°C and the CPU
    at 60°C, so it's probably not the temp.

    I have cleaned the fans and filters a few weeks ago, and yesterday I did it again. I've always done it regularly. The fans seem to work normally.

    What can it be?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    105
    Posts
    4,123

    Usually, freeze up like these are caused by driver conflicts, Go to your device manager and ensure you have correct drivers installed. What program have you recently installed? These are the areas I would look into. You might reset your RAM at least the 2 cards you can get too.

    What is being reported in your event viewer
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

  3. #3
    ROG Junior Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    Usually, freeze up like these are caused by driver conflicts, Go to your device manager and ensure you have correct drivers installed. What program have you recently installed? These are the areas I would look into. You might reset your RAM at least the 2 cards you can get too.

    What is being reported in your event viewer
    I did not notice anything in my event viewer. There's a lot of errors, but it's been like that for a looooong time. Nothing directly linked to the shutdowns though, there's only events saying the last shutdown was not planned when I boot it back up.

    My GPU driver is up to date, I even cleaned up everything with DDU to ensure it was not coming from that.
    I don't really know what software I have installed, I'm going to uninstall everything I installed around the time my laptop started crashing that way, just to be sure.

    How do you reset RAM?
    Last edited by akrng1337; 04-23-2018 at 06:59 PM.

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    105
    Posts
    4,123

    Quote Originally Posted by akrng1337 View Post
    I did not notice anything in my event viewer. There's a lot of errors, but it's been like that for a looooong time. Nothing directly linked to the shutdowns though, there's only events saying the last shutdown was not planned when I boot it back up.

    My GPU driver is up to date, I even cleaned up everything with DDU to ensure it was not coming from that.
    I don't really know what software I have installed, I'm going to uninstall everything I installed around the time my laptop started crashing that way, just to be sure.

    How do you reset RAM?
    Resting ram is to remove it and reinstall it.

    Your event viewer having lots of errors is you isssue. in thd details are they all different or the same look for the event ID and Google that to see what hardware might be causing the issue.

    You might be due for a clean install
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

  5. #5
    ROG Junior Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    Resting ram is to remove it and reinstall it.

    Your event viewer having lots of errors is you isssue. in thd details are they all different or the same look for the event ID and Google that to see what hardware might be causing the issue.

    You might be due for a clean install
    There's a lot of ESENT errors, mostly.
    I think I'll do a clean install yes. I've never done it in 6 years so it might be time.

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    105
    Posts
    4,123

    !!

    Quote Originally Posted by akrng1337 View Post
    There's a lot of ESENT errors, mostly.
    I think I'll do a clean install yes. I've never done it in 6 years so it might be time.

    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-installation)

    If your installing 7 be sure to use the iso that contains SP1 and Use you notebook came running in UEFI mode with the disk in GPT format. I don't advise windows 10 as the G75 does not support it. Some have it running mostly on 10 but it will run great on 8.1 without having to jump through any hoops.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

  7. #7
    ROG Junior Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-installation)

    If your installing 7 be sure to use the iso that contains SP1 and Use you notebook came running in UEFI mode with the disk in GPT format. I don't advise windows 10 as the G75 does not support it. Some have it running mostly on 10 but it will run great on 8.1 without having to jump through any hoops.
    I've been on 10 for years now, is it a problem?

  8. #8
    ROG Junior Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    I'm the author, I've done a clean install of W10 using the link you sent me, but I've still got the same problem on most games.
    One thing that helps me is lowering the core clock of my GPU through MSI Afterburner, but after a while I still get crashes...
    I guess it's a power issue then?

  9. #9
    ROG Junior Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    One important thing though, is that my AC unit was destroyed (2 years ago) so since I was unable to find the exact same one, I bought a similar one from some chinese seller on Amazon. It always worked fine but maybe now it's not anymore. My battery has been like dead for years now.

  10. #10
    ROG Junior Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •