Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW crashing when gaming w/o BSOD

akrng1337
Level 7
Hi,

I've had an Asus G75VW for 6 years now.

For weeks now the laptop completely and brutally crashes (shutdown, no BSOD) after a couples hours and sometimes minutes gaming, depending on the game.
I've checked the temps with Afterburner and the GPU reaches 85°C on Fortnite for example. Yesterday, it crashed on a game when the GPU was at 78°C and the CPU
at 60°C, so it's probably not the temp.

I have cleaned the fans and filters a few weeks ago, and yesterday I did it again. I've always done it regularly. The fans seem to work normally.

What can it be?

Thank you
10 REPLIES 10

Clintlgm
Level 14
Usually, freeze up like these are caused by driver conflicts, Go to your device manager and ensure you have correct drivers installed. What program have you recently installed? These are the areas I would look into. You might reset your RAM at least the 2 cards you can get too.

What is being reported in your event viewer
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Usually, freeze up like these are caused by driver conflicts, Go to your device manager and ensure you have correct drivers installed. What program have you recently installed? These are the areas I would look into. You might reset your RAM at least the 2 cards you can get too.

What is being reported in your event viewer

I did not notice anything in my event viewer. There's a lot of errors, but it's been like that for a looooong time. Nothing directly linked to the shutdowns though, there's only events saying the last shutdown was not planned when I boot it back up.

My GPU driver is up to date, I even cleaned up everything with DDU to ensure it was not coming from that.
I don't really know what software I have installed, I'm going to uninstall everything I installed around the time my laptop started crashing that way, just to be sure.

How do you reset RAM?

akrng1337 wrote:
I did not notice anything in my event viewer. There's a lot of errors, but it's been like that for a looooong time. Nothing directly linked to the shutdowns though, there's only events saying the last shutdown was not planned when I boot it back up.

My GPU driver is up to date, I even cleaned up everything with DDU to ensure it was not coming from that.
I don't really know what software I have installed, I'm going to uninstall everything I installed around the time my laptop started crashing that way, just to be sure.

How do you reset RAM?

Resting ram is to remove it and reinstall it.

Your event viewer having lots of errors is you isssue. in thd details are they all different or the same look for the event ID and Google that to see what hardware might be causing the issue.

You might be due for a clean install
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Resting ram is to remove it and reinstall it.

Your event viewer having lots of errors is you isssue. in thd details are they all different or the same look for the event ID and Google that to see what hardware might be causing the issue.

You might be due for a clean install

There's a lot of ESENT errors, mostly.
I think I'll do a clean install yes. I've never done it in 6 years so it might be time.

akrng1337 wrote:
There's a lot of ESENT errors, mostly.
I think I'll do a clean install yes. I've never done it in 6 years so it might be time.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way...

If your installing 7 be sure to use the iso that contains SP1 and Use you notebook came running in UEFI mode with the disk in GPT format. I don't advise windows 10 as the G75 does not support it. Some have it running mostly on 10 but it will run great on 8.1 without having to jump through any hoops.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way...

If your installing 7 be sure to use the iso that contains SP1 and Use you notebook came running in UEFI mode with the disk in GPT format. I don't advise windows 10 as the G75 does not support it. Some have it running mostly on 10 but it will run great on 8.1 without having to jump through any hoops.

I've been on 10 for years now, is it a problem?

jvcom00
Level 7
I'm the author, I've done a clean install of W10 using the link you sent me, but I've still got the same problem on most games.
One thing that helps me is lowering the core clock of my GPU through MSI Afterburner, but after a while I still get crashes...
I guess it's a power issue then?

jvcom00
Level 7
One important thing though, is that my AC unit was destroyed (2 years ago) so since I was unable to find the exact same one, I bought a similar one from some chinese seller on Amazon. It always worked fine but maybe now it's not anymore. My battery has been like dead for years now.

jvcom00
Level 7
Help